Nehemiah is a beloved biblical baby name for boys. Common during the Puritan era of New England, this name underwent a major revival during the close of the 20th century and has remained popular ever since. Nehemiah Strayn was a character in the Ghost Brigade series, and Nehemiah Scudder was the main character in If This Goes On by science fiction pioneer Robert Heinlein. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Nehemiah:
Nehemiah is a masculine name of Hebrew origin that means “God comforts” and “God consoles.” Nehemiah derives from the Old Hebrew phrase נְחֶמְיָה (meaning “God comforts”). The root word for this name is נָחַם (nacham) and means “to comfort” and יָה (yah) which refers to the Hebrew God.
Symbolism of the name Nehemiah:
Nehemiah is an Old Hebrew name that means “God comforts.” According to the Old Testament, Nehemiah was a governor as Persian Judea as well as a royal cup-bearer. In the Book of Nehemiah, the governor fulfills his mission of rebuilding the parts of Jerusalem destroyed during the Babylonian conquest. The symbol of Nehemiah was the temple scroll.
Style of the name Nehemiah:
Gender of the name Nehemiah:
Nehemiah is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nehemiah:
Number of syllables in the name Nehemiah:
Emotion evoked from the name Nehemiah:
The name Nehemiah evokes feelings of diligence and duty.
Alternative spellings for the name Nehemiah:
Nicknames for the name Nehemiah:
You have many options for nicknames for your son. With so many ways to shorten Nehemiah, you may want to choose a few different nicknames. Picking a nickname is a personal decision and creates a special bond with your child. Take a look at the list below and have fun choosing a nickname.
Popularity of the name Nehemiah:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Nehemiah was the 378th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Nehemiah:
Great middle names for Nehemiah and their meanings:
- Amos (borne of God, carried by God)
- Bibek (wisdom, distinction, discernment)
- Clement (merciful, gentle, mild)
- Earl (nobleman, warrior, aristocrat)
- Guillermo (helmeted protector, strong-willed warrior)
- Haroun (high mountain, exalted, strong)
- Issac (he who laughs, he who rejoices)
- Matthew (gift of God)
- Nestor (return, homecoming)
- Paschal (born on Easter, born during Passover)
- Raphael (God has healed)
- Rishon (first, head, chief, beginning)
- Zev (wolf, lupine)
Famous people with the name Nehemiah:
- Nehemiah Adams (writer)
- Nehemiah Hunter Brown (gospel singer)
- Nehemiah Clark (television personality)
- Nehemiah Lamar Harden (beatboxer)
- Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James (blues singer)
- Nehemiah Rice Knight (politician)
- Nehemiah Kish (ballet dancer)
- Nehemiah Odhiambo Ngoche (cricketer)
- Nehemiah George Ordway (politician)
- Nehemiah Odolphus Perry (cricketer)
Nehemiah in popular culture:
- Nehemiah Scudder (character in If This Goes On by Robert Heinlein)
- Nehemiah Strayn (character from the Ghost Brigade series)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©leungchopan/Shutterstock.com.