Zev is a beloved traditional name for boys. With roots in the Old Testament, this name is energetic and perky while still retaining its substance. Zev Bellringer was the name of a character on the Lexx series, and Zev Senesca is the name of a character in the Star Wars series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Zev:
Hebrew: Wolf, God has given
Origin of the name Zev:
Zev is an spelling variation of the traditional Hebrew name Ze'ev. This name derives from the Hebrew element זְאֵב and means “wolf.” Alternatively, Zev is also the short form of Zevadiah (or Zebadiah). Zevadiah means “God has given,” and it is the name of several important figures in the Old Testament. During the era of the New Testament, Greek scribes translated the name as Zebedee.
Symbolism of the name Zev:
Zev is the Hebrew word for “wolf.” According to legend, the name arose from an Old Testament reference to Benjamin as a “ravenous wolf” (Genesis 49:27). As a result, the symbol for Zev is the lupus (common grey wolf).
Style of the name Zev:
Gender of the name Zev:
Zev is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Zev:
Number of syllables in the name Zev:
Emotion evoked from the name Zev:
The name Zev evokes feelings of commitment and courage.
Alternative spellings for the name Zev:
Nicknames for the name Zev:
Popularity of the name Zev:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Zev was the 921st most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Zev:
Great middle names for Zev and their meanings:
- Avsholom (my father is peace)
- Bentley (bent grass meadow)
- Chaim (life)
- Fiorello (little flower)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Hiram (noble, exalted, benevolent brother)
- Jeremiah (God will exalt, God will appoint)
- Lazarus (God has helped)
- Moses (savior, deliverer, drawn from water)
- Raphael (God has healed)
- Yonah (dove)
Famous people with the name Zev:
- Zev Aelony (civil rights activist)
- Zev Asher (musician)
- Zev Braun (film producer)
- Zev Buffman (theater producer)
- Zev Golan (historian)
- Zev Hirsch Bernstein (writer)
- Zev Sufott (diplomat)
- Zev Taublieb (soccer player)
- Zev Vilnay (geographer)
- Zev Yaroslavsky (politician)
Zev in popular culture:
- Zev (character on The 100 series)
- Zev Bellringer (extraterrestrial character on the Lexx series)
- Zev Senesca (character in the Star Wars series)