Bentley is a unisex baby name that denotes posh sophistication. It is the name of characters on multiple video game franchises, including Sly Cooper and Spyro the Dragon. Companies have also chosen it as the namesake of brands like Bentley's tea. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the Name Bentley
Bentley derives from the Old English word beonet (meaning “bent grass”) and leah (meaning “field,” “woodland,” or “clearing”). Bentley is a unisex name that referred to a field or clearing full of bent grass (reeds). These clearings gave rise to towns, cities, and urban centers, and Bentley eventually became a local surname.
Bentley also became the name of a luxury British auto manufacturer known for speed. Since these cars are famously fast, the symbol for Bentley is a pair of wings (denoting that the drivers go so quickly that they can “fly”).
Nicknames for Bentley
The name Bentley evokes feelings of sophistication and urbanity. If you're looking for a nickname for the Bentley in your life, it may be difficult to create one off the name alone. However, that just provides an opportunity to come up with a nickname unique to their individual personality.
Bentley Name Details
Alternative Spelling for Bentley
Bentley Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration index, Bentley is a unisex name that was the 142th most popular name for boys in 2020. While it ranks less commonly for girls, it was the 905th most popular girl name in 2011.
Related Names for Bentley
Great Middle Names for Bentley and Their Meanings
- Asher (happy, blessed, fortunate)
- Ashton (east town, ash tree settlement)
- Chance (luck, fortune)
- Dakota (friend, ally)
- Grant (great, large)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Ryder (mounted warrior, horseman, messenger)
- Truman (trusty man)
- Valentine (strong, vigorous, healthy)
Famous People Named Bentley
- Bentley Akabueze (footballer)
- Bentley Cadence Edwards (son of television personality Maci Bookout)
- Bentley Green (YouTube Personality)
- Bentley Hammington (son of comedian Samuel Hammington)
- Bentley Mitchum (actor)
Bentley in Popular Culture
- Bentley Buzzard (character in Duck Tales)
- Bentley Drummle (character in Great Expectations)
- Bentley Gregg (character on the television show Bachelor's Father)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/_chupacabra_.