Chance is one of the most popular baby names for boys in America, ranking as a top 300 option. When you hear this option, you may initially think of Chance the Rapper. This name has much more traditional origins, however, dating back to the French surname Chauncey.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Chance:
Chance was first a name in France used as a nickname for Chauncey. Chauncey was originally a surname among the Norman people. It did not become a first name until the seventeenth century. In modern times, however, Chance is often associated with the English word that is the same, meaning “fortune” or “luck”. In French, the name can be interpreted to mean “chancellor”.
Symbolism of the Name Chance:
The baby name Chance means “fortune” or “luck” when considering the modern interpretation, as it is the same as the word. This word and name comes from the Latin word “cadens”. If considering Chance as a diminutive of Chauncey, however, it would mean “chancellor”. The original surname did not have a meaning, but Charles Chauncey was the founder and first chancellor of Harvard.
Nicknames for the Name Chance:
Chance can be turned into a lot of different nicknames. Which one you pick will ultimately be up to your personal preference! Check out these great options:
Style of the Name Chance:
Traditional or modern depending on origin
Gender of the Name Chance:
Chance is a powerful name for boys.
Pronunciation of the Name Chance:
Number of Syllables in the Name Chance:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Chance:
Chance feels modern and trendy in modern times. It has a strong and youthful feel.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Chance:
Popularity of the Name Chance:
Chance became a top 1,000 name in America in 1967 at rank 720. It first went to the top 200 list in 1995, lasting there until 1997. Chance remains a top 500 name, however. In 2022, it ranked at number 341 for boys.
Related Names for the Name Chance:
Great Middle Names for Chance and Their Meanings:
- Donovan (dark, brown-haired chieftan)
- Nathaniel (given by God)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Jensen (son of Jan, God is gracious)
- Spencer (steward, administrator)
- Dominic (belonging to God)
- Logan (little hollow)
- Xavier (new house, bright, splendid)
Famous People with the Name Chance:
- Chance Myers (soccer player)
- Chance the Rapper (rapper)
- Chance Bateman (AFL player)
- Chance Fry (soccer player)
- Chance Sanford (MLB player)
- Chance Waters (rapper)
- Chance Ruffin (NBA player)
Chances in Popular Culture:
- Chance Einar (character from “Glitch” webcomic)
- Chance (character from “Being There”)
- Chance Wayne (character from “Sweet Bird of Youth” play)
- Chance (character from “Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey”)
- Chance Boudreaux (character from “Hard Target”)
- Chance Taylor (character from “Runner”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Africa Studio/Shutterstock.com.