Nestor is a classic baby name that traces all the way back to Greek mythology. The name Nestor is also found in use among numerous famous individuals and fictional characters. Keep reading to discover more about the name.
Meaning of the name Nestor:
Greek for “traveler, voyage”.
Origin of the name Nestor:
Nestor is a baby name that comes with Ancient Greek origins. The name is found in Greek mythology as Nestor is the name of the son of Nelus. In this tale, Nestor was also the King of Pylos and Chloris.
However, there is some speculation that the name Nestor can also have Hebrew origins. This theory is brought up because of the similarities of the name with a phrase used in the Torah.
Symbolism of the name Nestor:
A baby name like Nestor can reflect someone who is eager to travel the world. Nestor is a name that inspires one to seek out far destinations, to soak in knowledge and discover new possibilities.
Style of the name Nestor:
Gender of the name Nestor:
The baby name Nestor is typically used for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Nestor:
NEHS-TAWR or NEHS-tər
Number of syllables in the name Nestor:
Emotion evoked from the name Nestor:
As a baby name, Nestor can evoke feelings of strength, determination, and courage.
Alternative spellings for the name Nestor:
Nicknames for the name Nestor:
Popularity of the name Nestor:
Based on information from the Social Security Administration, the baby name Nestor has made it on the top 1000 list of popular baby names on several occasions. In 1991, Nestor reached its highest point, landing at #586 on the list, but it hasn’t ranked since 2007.
Related names for the name Nestor:
Great middle names for Nestor and their meanings:
- Silas (wood, forest)
- Jason (to heal)
- Milo (soldier or merciful)
- Tobias (God is good)
- Alexander (defending men)
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Leon (lion)
Famous people with the name Nestor:
- Nestor Roqueplan (French writer)
- Nestor Carbonell (American actor)
- Nestor of Laranda (Greek poet)
- Nestor of Gaza (early Christian martyr)
- Nestor J. Zaluzec (American scientist)
Nestors in movies/pop culture:
- Nestor of Gerenia (from Homer’s “Odyssey”)
- Nestor (character in the “Tintin” book series)
- Nestor 10 (NS-series robot in the short-stories “I, Robot”)
- Nestor Willow (a character in the TV series “Caprica”)
- Nestor (character in the animated TV series “Shorty McShorts’ Shorts”)
- Nestor (group of consciousness in the film “Battle Beyond the Stars”)
- Nestor (character in the animated TV series “Scaredy Squirrel”)
- Nestor Burma (character created by French crime novelist Léo Malet)