Leon has been a top baby name in the United States for over a century. While it was falling out of favor for a bit, it's on the rise again, and we expect that trend to continue. After all, it's filled with symbolism that is important to many cultures and religions around the world. It's also short and sweet and pairs well with many middle names.
Meaning of the name Leon:
Origin of the name Leon:
Leon comes from the Greek word “leon,” which translates to “lion.” It's the same as the Roman name Leo.
Symbolism of the name Leon:
The baby name Leon means “lion.” The animal symbolizes strength, courage and majesty.
Style of the name Leon:
Gender of the name Leon:
Leon is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Leon:
Number of syllables in the name Leon:
Emotion evoked from the name Leon:
The baby name Leon evokes images of someone who is strong, competitive and a great leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Leon:
Nicknames for the name Leon:
Popularity of the name Leon:
According to the Social Security Administration, Leon has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States since at least 1900. As of 2020, it ranked at number 196.
Related names for the name Leon:
Great middle names for Leon and their meanings:
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Samuel (God has heard)
- James (supplanter)
- George (farmer)
- Maverick (independent)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Thomas (twin)
Famous people with the name Leon:
- Leon “Kix” Brooks (singer)
- Leon Hall (football player)
- Leon Panetta (former U.S. Secretary of Defense)
- Leon Leonwood Bean (founder of the LL Bean clothing company)
- Leon Spinks (boxer)
- Leon Russell (musician)
Leons in popular culture:
- Leon Black (character on the TV show “Curb Your Enthusiasm”)
- Leon Scott Kennedy (character in the “Resident Evil” video games)
- Leon Phelps (recurring character from the TV show “Saturday Night Live”)
- Leon Vance (character from the TV show “NCIS”)
- Leon (character in the “Fast and Furious” movies)