Leone is a powerful baby name for boys or girls. It dates back to ancient Italy and the early Christian church, coming from the Greek word for “lion.” As of 2021, Leone is a top 8,500 option.
Meaning of the name Leone:
Latin: lion, lioness
Italian: lion, lioness
Origin of the name Leone:
Leone originated as the Italian version of Leon. Leon comes from the Greek word “leon,” which means “lion.” Christians began to use the baby name Leon with the spread of the church, and it helped to form both Leo and Leone. Leona even became the feminine form of Leon, which eventually became Leone for girls also.
Symbolism of the name Leone:
The baby name Leone translations to “lion” or “lioness.” It comes from the Greek word “leon,” which directly translates to “lion” in English.
Style of the name Leone:
Gender of the name Leone:
Leone is an international-sounding name for boys or girls.
Pronunciation of the name Leone:
leh-OHN or leh-O-neh
Number of syllables in the name Leone:
Two or three
Emotion evoked from the name Leone:
Leone feels refined and powerful. It is a cultural and upper-class baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Leone:
Nicknames for the name Leone:
Popularity of the name Leone:
Leone was a top 1,000 baby name in America until 1938 at rank 967. It was on the top 400 list from 1901 to 1913, ranking highest in 1904 at 335. As of 2021, Leone is on the top 8,500 list. More specifically, it is at rank 8,451.
Related names for the name Leone:
Great middle names for Leone and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Chase (hunt, huntsman)
- Jackson (son of Jack, son of John)
- Xavier (bright, splendid, new house)
- Julie (youthful, downy-haired)
- Eugenia (nobility, well-born)
- Valerie (health, strength)
- Candice (clarity, whiteness, pure)
Famous people with the name Leone:
- Leone Alberti (humanist in the Renaissance)
- Leone Caetani (politician in Italy)
- Leone de' Sommi (writer)
- Leone Ginzburg (journalist)
- Leone Lane (actress, “Wolf Song”)
- Leone Meyer (philanthropist, businesswoman)
- Leone Leoni (Renaissance sculptor)
Leones in popular culture:
- Leone Abbacchio (character from “Jojo's Bizarre Adventure”)