This list of baby names that mean winter is filled with a robust selection of options for both boys and girls. While some names literally mean winter, others are more loosely tied to the season — perhaps meaning white or snowdrift or another such quality. Explore these baby names and find the perfect name for your baby.
RELATED: Boy Names That Mean Winter AND Girl Names That Mean Winter
- Albus An ancient Roman name meaning bright or white. A popular boy's name due to the Harry Potter headmaster of Hogwarts.
- AspenA cool name for a baby boy or girl that is a poplar tree with heart-shaped leaves. Also known for being known as a popular ski resort.
- Aster Aster is of Greek origin and means ‘star'. It is also a type of flower that is shaped like a star. Significant of the ‘Star of Bethlehem', this name is used more commonly for girls but can be used for boys.
- Ayaz Quite popular in Turkey, where it originated, Ayaz means frost, dry cold air. A suitable baby name for a newborn boy.
- Bai A short and sweet baby boy name that means Chinese cedar tree. Easy to remember and pleasing to say.
- Baine A mythical character of the Irish that means whiteness. A unique and pretty name for a baby girl.
- Boreas A boy's name meaning north wind in Greek. Known for an angry winter temper, Boreas would fit a pistol of a baby.
- Bylur A strong name for an active baby boy. Icelandic in origin, Bylur means snowstorm.
- Chione A female name of Greek origin. It means the ‘god of cold and wind' and ‘bringer of winter'.
- ElsaA baby girl's Scandinavian name. Made popular by the Frozen movie.
- EmberName your baby boy or girl to remember the nice cozy feeling they brought on a winter's eve by the fireplace.
- Fanner An Old Norse boy's name that is quaint and catchy. It means ‘snowdrift'.
- GarnetThe birthstone of January. The perfect name for winter babies that fill you with warmth.
- JackOf English origin, Jack is a male name that means “God is gracious”. Often associated with ‘Jack Frost' of winter, it makes a simple winter name.
- Janara In Roman mythology, Janara is the feminine form of Janus. The god of snow.
- JanuaryJanuary is a unisex name that is English in origin. Referring to the Roman God Janus, it is the opening of the next year. Jan is the short version of this name.
- Lumi A Finnish name meaning ‘snow'. Suitable for boys or girls.
- Miyuki A pretty Japanese girl's name. It means deep snow or beautiful snow.
- NoelThis is a boy's name of French. The girl's version is Noelle. A delightful festive reminder of your little bundle of joy.
- Robin A unisex name that means bright and shining. Also a common bird seen during the winter season to remind you of your bundle of joy.
- Syrne An unusual baby girl name of Nenet origin. Found along the Arctic Ocean, this is an endangered language that means ‘winter woman'.
- Talvi A rare and beautiful name for a baby girl. Talvi is Finnish and Estonian origin and means ‘winter'.
- WinterAn easy-to-remember name for the coldest season of the year. Unisex and catchy.
- Yas A sassy boy's name of Native American origin. Meaning ‘snow', it was inspired by the landscape of the season.
- Yukie A favorite Japanese baby boy name. Meaning ‘snow', Yukie is short and catchy.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Vect0r0vich.