Sondra is a Scottish baby girl’s name that means “defending men”. Sondra is a variation of Saundra and Sandra and comes from the Greek name Alexandra. Sondra was popular from 1928 to 1988.
Meaning of the name Sondra:
Scottish: defending men
Origin of the name Sondra:
Sondra is a baby girl’s name of Scottish origin that means “defending men”. Sondra is a variant spelling of Saundra and related to the name Sandra. It is derived from the Greek name Alexandra.
Symbolism of the name Sondra:
Sondra B is the name of a type of plumeria flower. The flower is pale pink with a yellow center. Plumeria flowers symbolize new beginnings, love, and springtime.
Style of the name Sondra:
Gender of the name Sondra:
Sondra is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Sondra:
Number of syllables in the name Sondra:
Emotion evoked from the name Sondra:
Sondra evokes feelings of pride and accomplishment.
Alternative spellings for the name Sondra:
Saundra, Sandra, Sahdra
Nicknames for the name Sondra:
Popularity of the name Sondra:
According to the Social Security Administration, Sondra is a popular baby girl’s name. Sondra was in the top 1000 baby names from 1928 to 1988. It peaked at #199 in 1940.
Related names for the name Sondra:
Great middle names for the name Sondra and their meanings:
- Alice (noble)
- Layne (small roadway)
- Melani (black, dark)
- Wren (small bird)
- Everly (wild boar in a woodland clearing)
- Avalon (island of apples)
- Kinsley (king’s meadow)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Remy (oarsman)
Famous people with the name Sondra:
- Sondra Gotlieb (Canadian journalist and novelist)
- Sondra Peterson (American model)
- Sondra Radvanovsky (American operatic soprano)
- Sondra Theodore (American model)
- Sondra Bianca (American pianist)
Sondra in popular culture:
- Sondra Huxtable Tibideaux (television, “The Cosby Show”)
- Sondra Pransky (film, “Scoop”)
- Sondra Bizet (film, “Lost Horizon”)
- Sondra Finchley (literature, “An American Tragedy” by Theodore Dreiser)
- Sondra Fuller aka Clayface (comics, Batman comics)