Tyrell is an urban baby name that came from the English surname Terrell. Terrell was an elaboration of the Norman nickname “tirel,” used for stubborn people. Tyrell is no longer a top 1,000 baby name, but it is currently a top 3,000 option.
Meaning of the name Tyrell:
Origin of the name Tyrell:
Tyrell was first a surname in England. It began as a variation of Terrell. Terrell likely came from the French nickname “tirel,” which translates to “to pull.” The Normans brought the diminutive with them to England after invading the country.
Symbolism of the name Tyrell:
Tyrell means “stubborn” as it has the same meaning as Terrell. Terrell was a surname in England that came from the Norman nickname “tirel.” “Tirel” translates to “to pull,” which referenced a “stubborn” person.
Style of the name Tyrell:
Gender of the name Tyrell:
Tyrell is an urban name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Tyrell:
tie-REHL or TIR-el
Number of syllables in the name Tyrell:
Emotion evoked from the name Tyrell:
Tyrell is a modern and urban name in America. It is informal and strong.
Alternative spellings for the name Tyrell:
Nicknames for the name Tyrell:
Popularity of the name Tyrell:
Tyrell was a top 1,000 name in America from 1979 to 2013. In the first year, it was at rank 744, and in the last, 984. Tyrell ranked highest in 1992 at number 354.
Related names for the name Tyrell:
Great middle names for Tyrell and their meanings:
- Jaxon (son of Jack, God is gracious)
- Elder (respected older person)
- Miles (soldier, servant)
- Turner (lathe worker)
- Corbin (raven, little crow)
- Darius (wealth, kingly, possessing goodness)
- Princeton (princely town)
- Coleman (dove, burner of charcoal, gatherer of coal)
Famous people with the name Tyrell:
- Tyrell Jenkins (MLB pitcher)
- Tyrell Davis (actor, “Call Her Savage”)
- Tyrell Biggs (boxer)
- Tyrell Sutton (CFL player)
Tyrells in popular culture:
- Tyrell Badd (character from “Ace Attorney Investigations” video game)
- Tyrell Wellick (character from “Mr. Robot”)
- Tyrell (character from D.C. Comics)
- Tyrell (surname used in “The Game of Thrones”)