Turner is a classic baby boy’s name of English origin that means “works with a lathe, to turn”. Turner is derived from an English occupational surname. It is one of the vintage early 20th century names that have made a comeback in the new century.
Meaning of the name Turner:
English: works with a lathe, to turn
Origin of the name Turner:
Turner is an English baby boy’s name that means “works with a lathe, to turn”. Turner is an occupational surname for someone who was a woodworker that worked with a lathe. The name is derived from Latin.
Symbolism of the name Turner:
Turner means “to turn” and “works with a lathe”. A lathe is a tool that works by rotating a piece of wood or metal, allowing the material to be worked evenly from every angle. Lathes are commonly used to make things such as banisters or table legs.
Style of the name Turner:
Gender of the name Turner:
Turner is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Turner:
Number of syllables in the name Turner:
Emotion evoked from the name Turner:
Turner evokes feelings of creativity and hard work.
Alternative spellings for the name Turner:
There are no common alternative spellings.
Nicknames for the name Turner:
Popularity of the name Turner:
According to the Social Security Administration, Turner is a popular baby boy’s name. Turner was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1939 and returned in 1994. It peaked at #438 in 1902.
Related names for the name Turner:
Great middle names for the name Turner and their meanings:
- Clifton (place on a cliff)
- Earl (English aristocratic title)
- Clarence (bright)
- Luther (army people)
- Roscoe (deer forest)
- Montgomery (man power)
- Harris (son of Harry)
- Grey (the color, the son of the bailiff)
Famous people with the name Turner:
- Turner Hillery Gill (American college football coach)
- Turner Ladd Stevenson (Canadian ice hockey player)
- Turner Ashby (U.S. Confederate commander)
- Turner Gustavus Morehead (American brigadier general)
- Turner Saunders (American Methodist preacher)
Turner in popular culture:
- Turner Grey (video games, “Ace Attorney” series)
- Will Turner (film, “Pirates of the Caribbean” series)
- Cole Turner (television, “Charmed”)
- Scott Turner (film, “Turner & Hooch”)
- Turner (television, “Handy Manny”)