Tyson is a strong and robust baby name for boys. With its meaning that denotes a fighter in both the classical and modern age, Tyson remains highly relevant in popular culture. Tyson Granger is the protagonist of the Beyblade series, and Tyson the Cyclops was a character in the Percy Jackson series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Tyson:
Old French: Firebrand, agitator, high-spirited person
Greek: Follower of Dionysus
Origin of the name Tyson:
Tyson first arose as an English surname. The surname derived from the Old French term tison (meaning “firebrand” or “high-spirited person”). Alternatively, some etymologists believe that Tyson is a dialectical variant of Dyson. This name is a metronymic surname of Dye (a medieval nickname that meant “follower of Dionysus”).
Symbolism of the name Tyson:
Tyson originates from the Old French word for “agitator” or “firebrand.” The symbol for firebrand is the lit torch or burning wood.
Style of the name Tyson:
Gender of the name Tyson:
Tyson is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Tyson:
Number of syllables in the name Tyson:
Emotion evoked from the name Tyson:
The name Tyson evokes feelings of toughness and tenacity.
Alternative spellings for the name Tyson:
Nicknames for the name Tyson:
Popularity of the name Tyson:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Tyson was the 372nd most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Tyson:
Great middle names for Tyson and their meanings:
- Armand (army man)
- Colby (coal town)
- Drake (dragon)
- Ezra (helper, protector, aid)
- Fergus (man of vigor)
- Gadiel (God is my fortune)
- Keith (woodland, forest, battleground)
- Placido (quiet, calm, tranquil)
- Ross (promontory, headland, cape)
- Samson (sun)
- Wyclef (dwelling near white cliff)
Famous people with the name Tyson:
- Tyson Asi Alualu (football player)
- Tyson Brett Ballou (model)
- Tyson Beckford (supermodel)
- Tyson Cleotis Chandler (basketball player)
- Tyson James Farago (soccer player)
- Tyson Lee Griffin (mixed martial artist)
- Tyson Scott Nash (ice hockey player)
- Tyson Jay Ritter (singer)
- Tyson William Ross (baseball player)
- Tyson Aaron Wheeler (basketball player)
Tyson in popular culture:
- Tyson Granger (protagonist of the Beyblade series)
- Tyson the Cyclops (character in the Percy Jackson series)
- Tyson Rios (character in the Army of Two series)=