Trey is an English boy’s name that means “three”. Trey is a nickname for names like Tremaine and Trenton. It is also a common nickname for people who are “the third” of their name. Trey has dropped in popularity since it peaked in the late 90’s.
Meaning of the Name Trey
Trey is an English boy’s name that means “three”. Trey is a nickname for names like Tremaine and Trenton as well as people who are “the third” of their name. Three is a number that is considered powerful and holy to many cultures historically. For example, Christianity has the Holy Trinity and ancient Celtic and Greek religions believed in “triple aspect” gods.
Nicknames for Trey
Trey evokes feelings of creativity and strength. If you're looking for a nickname for the Trey in your life, it may be a little difficult to come up with a name based off “Trey” alone. However, feel free to come up with a nickname that's unique to their fun and vibrant personality!
Trey Name Details
Gender: Trey is traditionally considered to be a boys name.
Alternative Spelling for Trey
Trey Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration, Trey is a boy’s baby name that became popular in the mid 1960’s. Trey peaked in popularity in 1999 at #189.
Related Names for Trey
Great Middle Names for Trey and Their Meanings
- Roderick (famous ruler)
- Maurice (dark-skinned)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Finnegan (fair or white)
- Oscar (deer-lover or champion warrior)
- Miles (soldier or merciful)
- Emmett (universal)
- Silas (forest)
- Jonah (dove)
- Asher (fortunate, blessed)
Famous People Named Trey
- Trey Songz (American singer and rapper)
- Trey Gunn (American musician)
- Randolph “Trey” Parker (American actor and screenwriter)
- Ernest “Trey” Anastasio (American musician)
- Harold “Trey” Gowdy (U.S. Congressman from South Carolina)
Trey in Popular Culture
- Trey Atwood (television, “The O.C.”)
- Trey (television, “The 100”)
- Trey (video games, “Final Fantasy Type-0”)
- Trey (film, “Live Free or Die Hard”)
- Trey Parker (television, “The Simpsons”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anicka S/Shutterstock.com.