Roderick is a manly name full of power and strength. Though it sounds urban and modern, the baby name dates back to at least the eighth century. Despite that ancient origin, it was still a top 1,000 name in America up until 2012.
Meaning of the name Roderick:
German: famous warrior
English: famous warrior
Origin of the name Roderick:
Roderick comes from the Old Germanic words “hrod” and “ric.” The baby name dates back to before the eighth century in Germany, used by the Visigoth people. The name spread to Norse and Scandinavian cultures, eventually becoming popular among the Normans. It was them who brought it to England through the Norman Invasion, popularizing the name through the Middle Ages.
Symbolism of the name Roderick:
The baby name Roderick comes from the words “hrod” and “ric” in the Old Germanic language. “Hrod” translates to “fame” and “ric” translates to “ruler,” “mighty,” or “warrior.” Together, the meaning of “famous warrior” comes out.
Style of the name Roderick:
Gender of the name Roderick:
Roderick is a powerful name for baby boys.
Pronunciation of the name Roderick:
RAHD-rik or RAHD-uh-rik
Number of syllables in the name Roderick:
Two or three depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Roderick:
Roderick is powerful, strong, and noble. It has almost a modern feel to it though in comparison to Robert, a similar baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Roderick:
Nicknames for the name Roderick:
Popularity of the name Roderick:
The last year that Roderick was a top 1,000. name in America was 2012 at rank 981. The baby name was most popular as a top 300 name in the mid-twentieth century. 1967 was Roderick's best year at rank 221.
Related names for the name Roderick:
Great middle names for Roderick and their meanings:
- Wolfe (wolf)
- Edgar (riches, spear)
- Neil (cloud, passionate, champion)
- Magnus (the greatest)
- Edmund (wealthy protector)
- Simon (flat-nosed, listen, hearing)
- Christopher (bearer of Christ)
- Dorian (child of the sea)
Famous people with the name Roderick:
- Roderick McDowall (football player)
- Roderick Burton (rapper, Dolla)
- Roderick Maude (actor, “The Aristocats”)
- Roderick Toombs (wrestler, actor, “They Live”))
- Roderick Stewart (singer, Rod Stewart)
- Roderick Allen (WW2 major general)
- Roderick Strong (wrestler, ring name for Christopher Lindsay)
Rodericks in popular culture:
- Roderick Wolfe (character from “Torrid Love”)
- Roderick Usher (character from “The fall of the House of Usher”)
- Roderick Glossop (character from books by P.G. Wodehouse)
- Roderick Meeks (character from “Glee”)
- Roderick Kingsley (character from Marvel comics)
- Roderick Anderson (character from “Return of the Obra Dinn”)