At first glance, you wouldn't know Yolanda is a nature name, but it's actually derived from the Greek word for the purple violet flower. The name was quite popular in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s, but it hasn't been on the list of the top 1,000 names for girls since 2002. Babies born during the 2020s are more likely to have a grandma with the name than they are to receive it themselves, but you never know. Yolanda could be ready for a comeback. Pair it with a top 100 middle name to make it feel more current.
Meaning of the name Yolanda:
Origin of the name Yolanda:
Yolanda is said to be derived from the Greek word and feminine name, Iolanthe. It means “violet flower.”
Symbolism of the name Yolanda:
As a nature name, Yolanda can offer plenty in the way of symbolism. In Christianity, the violet flower represents the Virgin Mary and modesty. In other cultures and religions, the flower might represent humility, faith, and wisdom. The color purple or violet is often associated with royalty and luxury.
Style of the name Yolanda:
Gender of the name Yolanda:
Yolanda is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Yolanda:
Number of syllables in the name Yolanda:
Emotion evoked from the name Yolanda:
The baby name Yolanda evokes images of someone who is a great communicator. They are quite talkative but excel at getting their point across.
Alternative spellings for the name Yolanda:
Nicknames for the name Yolanda:
Popularity of the name Yolanda:
According to the Social Security Administration, Yolanda has been a top 1,000 baby name for girls on and off between 1905 and 2002. It even spent some time in the top 100 during the 1960s and 1970s. Yolanda last ranked at number 973 in 2002.
Related names for the name Yolanda:
Great middle names for Yolanda and their meanings:
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Isabelle (pledged to God)
- Rose (flower)
- Abigail (father's joy)
- Harper (harp player)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Alexis (protector of men)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Scarlett (red)
Famous people with the name Yolanda:
- Yolanda Adams (gospel singer)
- Yolanda King (activist and daughter of Martin Luther King, Jr.)
- Yolanda Andrade (TV host)
- Yolanda Caballero (distance runner)
- Yolanda Moore (basketball player)
Yolanda in popular culture:
- Yolanda Montez (character from the DC Comics universe)
- Yolanda(character from the soap opera “The Young and the Restless”)
- Yolanda (character from the manga and anime “Black Lagoon”)
- Yolanda(character in the “The Children of the Red King” book series)
- Yolanda (character on the TV show “Firefly”)