Yoselin is a classic baby name with a distinctive Spanish flair. Once a hallmark of Latin America, Yoselin became a top baby name during the early 21st century. Yoselin is the name of a character in the Halo series, and Yoselin “Yo-Jo” Joestar is also character in the Gravid Diaries series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Yoselin:
Germanic: Member of the Gaut tribe
Celtic: Chief, lord
Origin of the name Yoselin
Yoselin is the Spanish version of the name Jocelyn. The name Jocelyn originates from the French pronunciation of the Germanic term Gautzelin. This term referred to the Northern Germanic tribe called the Gauts. The Gauts were one of the major progenitors of the Swedes, and they inhabited Götaland. Alternatively, some etymologists believe that Jocelyn derives from the Celtic diminutive jodoc (meaning “chief” or “lord”). This would make the name a cognate of the Germanic term gauzlin (which went on to produce the surnames Gozlin and Gosling). Either way, the Yoselin spelling is the most common variation in Latin America.
Symbolism of the name Yoselin:
Yoselin originates from the Germanic word Gautzelin (meaning “descendant of the Gauts”). In antiquity, the symbol of the Gauts was the Germanic rune.
Style of the name Yoselin:
Gender of the name Yoselin:
Yoselin is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Yoselin:
Number of syllables in the name Yoselin:
Emotion evoked from the name Yoselin:
The name Yoselin evokes feelings of determination and dignity.
Alternative spellings for the name Yoselin:
Nicknames for the name Yoselin:
Popularity of the name Yoselin:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Yoselin was the 1,508th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Yoselin:
Great middle names for Yoselin and their meanings:
- Abril (opening, fourth month)
- Azucena (Madonna lily)
- Cassie (excelling above men)
- Dominique (of the Lord)
- Ethelyn (noble lake)
- Holly (evergreen shrub)
- Kendra (royal power, chief hero, knowledge)
- Lark (songbird)
- Skye (sky, cloud)
- Trisha (noble, patrician, upper class)
- Ziva (bright, radiant, shining)
Famous people with the name Yoselin:
- Yoselin Roxana Aquino Alba (footballer)
- Yoselin Benitez Alfonso (biologist)
- Yoselin Sánchez Espino (pageant titleholder)
- Yoselin Vidal Hidalgo (artist)
- Yoselin Lopez (track athlete)
- Yoselin “Yoss” Pascazio (model)
- Yoselin Gómez Reyes (pageant titleholder)
- Yoselin Tamara (singer)
- Yoselin Yahaira (makeup artist and entrepreneur)
- Yoselin Zamora (television personality)
Yoselin in popular culture:
- Yoselin (character in the Halo series)
- Yoselin “Yo-Jo” Joestar (character in the Gravid Diaries series))