The baby name Dominique was once a unisex baby name popular due to NBA star Dominique Wilkins. In more recent years, it is more popular with girls. No matter the gender, however, this baby name has a certain regal feel to it.
Meaning of the name Dominique:
French: belonging to the Lord
Origin of the name Dominique:
Dominique is the French version of the baby name Dominic that comes from Latin culture. Dominic itself comes from the ancient Latin name Dominicus. Originally, the name was reserved for children seen to be belonging to God as they were born on Sundays.
Symbolism of the name Dominique:
The baby name Dominique originated in France as their version of Dominic, therefore, it has the same meaning. The name means “of the Lord” because it was for children born on the Christian church's holy day, Sunday.
Style of the name Dominique:
Gender of the name Dominique:
Dominique is a powerful baby name for boys or girls.
Pronunciation of the name Dominique:
Number of syllables in the name Dominique:
Emotion evoked from the name Dominique:
Dominique is a baby name that feels powerful and in control. It is a regal name with so much refinement.
Alternative spellings for the name Dominique:
Nicknames for the name Dominique:
- Ni Ni
Popularity of the name Dominique:
The baby name Dominique became popular in America in 1973 at rank 944. It peaked in 1991 at rank 170. 2017 was the last year that Dominique was a top 1,000 option at rank 981.
Related names for the name Dominique:
Great middle names for Dominique and their meanings:
- Elise (my God is an oath)
- Raine (she is singing, queen)
- Soleil (sun)
- Adair (happy spear)
- Odin (raging, frenzied)
- Colt (young horse)
- Omar (flourishing, long-lived)
- Cameron (crooked nose)
Famous people with the name Dominique:
- Dominique de Villepin (prime minister of France)
- Dominique Rodgers (NFL player)
- Dominique Wilkins (NBA player)
- Dominique Jones (NFL player)
- Dominique Swain (actress, “Lolita”)
- Dominique Moceanu (gymnast)
- Dominique Monami (tennis player)
- Dominique Dawes (gymnast)
Dominiques in popular culture:
- Dominique Deveraux (character from “Dynasty”)
- Dominique Derval (character from “Thunderball”)
- Dominique Paradis (character from “James Bond 007: Nightfire”)
- Dominique Ballard (character from “Dominique”)
- Dominique Francon (character from “The Fountainhead”)
- Dominique Weasley (character from “Harry Potter”)