Ethelyn is an elegant baby name for girls. Associated with Old Anglo-Saxon nobility, Ethelyn became one of the most celebrated names of the early 20th century. Ethelyn is the heroine of Ethelyn's Mistake by Mary Jane Holmes, and Ethelyn is also the name of a successful band hailing from Poland. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Ethelyn:
English, Welsh: Noble lake
Origin of the name Ethelyn:
Ethelyn derives from a combination of the Old English word æthðel (meaning “noble”) and the Welsh suffix –lyn (meaning “lake”).
Symbolism of the name Ethelyn:
Ethelyn originates from the Anglo-Saxon word æthðel (meaning “noble”) and the Welsh word lyn (meaning “lake”). The symbol of the Old English nobility was the runic seal.
Style of the name Ethelyn:
Gender of the name Ethelyn:
Ethelyn is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ethelyn:
Number of syllables in the name Ethelyn:
Emotion evoked from the name Ethelyn:
The name Ethelyn evokes feelings of eminence and elite status.
Alternative spellings for the name Ethelyn:
Nicknames for the name Ethelyn:
Popularity of the name Ethelyn:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Ethelyn was the 16,388th most popular baby name for girls in 2014.
Related names for the name Ethelyn:
Great middle names for Ethelyn and their meanings:
- Aleah (exalted, high, ascendant)
- Bianca (white, fair)
- Charise (grace, kindness, mercy)
- Dulcie (sweet)
- Gemma (gem, jewel, precious stone)
- Leigh (meadow, pasture, field)
- Nalini (lotus flower)
- Nova (new)
- Sibyl (prophetess, seer, oracle)
- Sydney (wide meadow)
- Thisbe (dove haven, nymph)
- Ygnacia (fiery, ardent)
Famous people with the name Ethelyn:
- Ethelyn Elizabeth “Lyn” Ackroyd (wife of public figure John Wesley Ackroyd)
- Ethelyn Marie Bunker (wife of brigadier general William Henry Burt)
- Ethelyn Davis (sociologist)
- Ethelyn Gibson (actress)
- Ethelyn Simon (writer)
- Ethelyn Emma Spencer (public figure)
- Ethelyn Tiamson (multimedia artist)
- Ethelyn Maria Tucker (botanist)
Ethelyn in popular culture:
- Ethelyn (heroine of Ethelyn's Mistake by Mary Jane Holmes)
- Ethelyn (character in Welcome to Linden by Kathi Gardner)
- Ethelyn (black metal band based in Poland)
- Ethelyn the Rat (protagonist of Hurray for Ethelyn by Babette Cole)