Sibyl is a Greek baby girl’s name that means “seer, oracle, prophetess”. Sibyl was a popular given name in the early 20th-century but hasn’t been in the top 1000 names since 1929. Sibyl was the term for a type of female prophet in ancient Greece and Rome.
Meaning of the name Sibyl:
Greek: seer, oracle, prophetess
Origin of the name Sibyl:
Sibyl is a baby girl’s name of Greek origin that means “seer, oracle, prophetess”. The sibyls were a group of female prophets that operated in various holy sites across the ancient world.
Symbolism of the name Sibyl:
The sibyl were revered prophetesses of ancient Greece and Rome. They were viewed as fonts of holy knowledge given to them by the gods.
Style of the name Sibyl:
Gender of the name Sibyl:
Sibyl is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Sibyl:
Number of syllables in the name Sibyl:
Emotion evoked from the name Sibyl:
Sibyl evokes feelings of wisdom and respect.
Alternative spellings for the name Sibyl:
Nicknames for the name Sibyl:
Popularity of the name Sibyl:
According to the Social Security Administration, Sibyl is a popular baby girl’s name. Sibyl was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1929. It peaked at #376 in 1919.
Related names for the name Sibyl:
Great middle names for the name Sibyl and their meanings:
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Juliet (youthful, sky father)
- Evangeline (bearer of good news)
- Alodia (foreign riches)
- Cora (coral)
- Aurelia (the golden one)
Famous people with the name Sibyl:
- Sibyl Ludington (American revolutionary)
- Sibyl Sanderson (American operatic soprano)
- Sibyl Buck (American musician and model)
- Sibyl Lady Colefax (English interior decorator and socialite)
- Sibyl Moholy Nagy (German art historian and author)
Sibyl in popular culture:
- Sibyl Vane (literature, “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde)
- The Temple of the Sibyl (culture, Poland’s first museum)
- Sibyl (literature, “Sibyl” by Benjamin Disraeli)
- Sibyl (television, “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”)
- Lady Sybil Cora Crawley (television, “Downton Abbey”)