A simple, yet filling, side dish, sautéed cabbage has been a staple at dinner tables for generations. With just three ingredients, make this easy side dish for your next meal.
1/2 head medium green cabbage
3 Tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
1. Core and very thinly slice the cabbage.
2. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
3. When butter is bubbly, add the cabbage. Add salt and pepper.
4. Stir occasionally and cook until mostly wilted, about 10 minutes.
5. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is starting to caramelize (brown), about 10 minutes. Serves 4.
What to Serve With This Sautéed Cabbage
There are a lot of options available to you when it comes to this cabbage recipe. Cabbage may not be a favorite with kids, but it's important that they eat their vegetables. Perhaps combining this cabbage with one of their favorite dinners will do the trick!
Consider serving this cabbage recipe alongside some sausage. You can go for spicy sausage if your family has a tolerance for it, or you can stick to regular sausage. Keep in mind that young children may be more sensitive to spice. The crunch of the cabbage will contrast nicely with the softness of good sausage.
You can serve this cabbage alongside hot dogs, as well. This might sound like an interesting combination, but if sautéed cabbage can work with sausage, why not hot dogs? It's a healthier alternative to the French fries and mac and cheese that is normally served with hot dogs.
Finally, consider serving this sautéed cabbage as part of a fancy meal. The meal you choose is up to you and your preferences! Every component of a fancy meal doesn't have to be hard to make. Sometimes, leaving the side dishes simple is the way to go. That way, you can focus on the main dish of the meal.