At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Spicy Black Bean Patties
½ of a medium avocado, seeded and peeled
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 slices whole wheat bread, torn
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 beaten egg
1 small roma tomato, chopped
1. For guacamole, in a small bowl mash the avocado. Stir in lime juice; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
2. Place the torn bread in a food processor bowl. Cover and process or blend until bread resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
3. Place cilantro and garlic in the food processor bowl. Cover and process until finely chopped. Add beans, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and cumin. Cover and process until beans are coarsely chopped and mixture begins to pull away from the side of the bowl or container. Add mixture to bread crumbs. Add egg; mix well. Shape into four ½-inch thick patties.
4. For a charcoal grill, place patties on the lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are heated through, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, lightly grease grill rack; preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
5. To serve, top with guacamole and chopped tomato.
Serving size: 1 patty
Total Fat: 7 g
Sat: 1 g
Protein: 11 g
Carb: 25 g
Fiber: 9 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
Sodium: 487 mg