1 pound Italian sausage links
26 ounces pasta sauce
1 cup water
15 ounces ricotta or cottage cheese
2 Tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Fry the sausage according to package directions.
2. Cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices.
3. In a large skillet, combine the sausage, pasta sauce and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning.
5. Spread one third of the pasta sauce mixture over the bottom of a greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
6. Layer with half of the noodles and half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
7. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Top with a third of the sauce.
8. Layer with the remaining noodles, ricotta cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese.
9. Top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
10. Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour or until noodles are tender and sauce is bubbly.
11. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serves 10.