Crab Stuffed Chicken Breasts
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
¼ cup sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 teaspoons marinade for chicken, divided
2 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
3 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese, divided
1. Flatten chicken to ¼ inch thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the crab, water chestnuts, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, parsley, mustard, 2 teaspoons marinade for chicken, and half of the onions.
3. Chop one cheese slice; stir into crab mixture. Spread over chicken; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
4. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on all sides. Place seam side down in a shallow 3 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining marinade for chicken.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Cut each remaining cheese slice into six strips; place two cheese strips over each chicken breast. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks. Sprinkle remaining onions over chicken.
Yield: 6 servings
1 stuffed chicken breast half equals:
7 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
95 mg cholesterol
469 mg sodium
5 g carbohydrate
35 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat