Healthy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
2 cups elbow macaroni
Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup onions, chopped
½ cup evaporated skim milk
1 medium egg, beaten
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1¼ cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1. Cook macaroni according to directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
2. Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 34 mg
Sodium: 120 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Potassium: 119 mg