3 lbs. boned chuck or round beef
1/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon celery salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup minced onion
1 minced, peeled clove garlic
3 ¾ cups boiling water
4 teaspoons beef broth
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
6 small white potatoes. peeled and cut into cubes
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Trim meat of most fat; cut into 1 ½” pieces.
2. Combine flour, pepper, and celery salt in large bowl. Drop in meat, few pieces at a time; toss until well coated. Reserve leftover flour.
3. Heat oil in Dutch oven or deep kettle. When hot, slowly sauté floured meat in it - a few pieces at a time - until richly browned on all sides. Remove each piece as it browns.
4. Add minced onion and garlic to oil in kettle and simmer until just tender; stir in leftover flour, until smooth and blended.
5. Slowly stir in boiling water, beef broth, salt, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and thyme.
6. Add meat, cover; simmer about 2 hours, or until meat cuts easily.
7. When stew has simmered 2 hours, add onions, potatoes, carrots and peas. Cover, simmer 15 minutes longer or until all vegetables are tender.
8. Discard the bay leaf, then let the stew stand for five minutes before serving.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!