Since 2014 the name Alexa has become synonymous with smart products. With inspiration from the voice and operating system on the Starship Enterprise from the movies and television series, Alexa was developed. The name Alexa was chosen by developers because of the X in the name, the hard consonant helps with recognition and precision. It has also been suggested that the name is reminiscent of the Library of Alexandria.
Meaning of the name Alexa:
Greek: Defender of man
Origin of the name Alexa:
Greek. The baby name Alexa is the shortened form of Alexandra which is the female version of Alexander. The Greek origin breaks into alexo meaning “to defend” married with aner which means “man” giving us “defender of man”.
Symbolism of the name Alexa:
The olive was a symbol of peace and fertility as well as the symbol of Athena in ancient Greece. Additionally, olive wreaths were awarded to Olympic game winners.
Style of the name Alexa (classic, traditional, new-age, etc.):
Gender of the name Alexa:
Alexa is the shortened form of Alexandra, which is the female version of Alexander.
Pronunciation of the name Alexa:
Syllables in the name Alexa:
Emotion evoked from the name Alexa:
The name Alexa evokes a feeling of strength and safety.
Alternative spellings for the name Alexa:
Alexxa, Allexa, Aleckza, Aleksa, Alecksa
Nicknames for the name Alexa:
Lexi, Lexa, Lex, Allie, Lexy
Popularity of the name Alexa:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Alexa was ranked number 230 for baby girl names in 2020. This is down from its best ranking of 32 in 2015.
Related names for the name Alexa:
Alea, Alec, Alease, Aleana, Aleah
Great middle names for Alexa and their meanings:
- Anne (grace)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Jayne (God is gracious)
- Kate (pure)
- Leah (meadow, clearing)
- Lynn (lake)
- Rainn (abundant blessings from above)
- Rose (flower)
Famous people with the name Alexa:
- Alexa Davalos (American actress)
- Alexa PenaVega (American actress and singer)
- Alexa Ray Joel (singer-songwriter and daughter of Billy Joel)
- Alexa Nikolas (Greek-American actress)
- Alexa Woodward (American indie/folk singer and songwriter)
Alexa movies/pop culture:
- Alexa Papadopolous (a character from the “Degrassi” television series)
- Alexa Rivera (also known as Fuerza, a character in “The Flash”)
- Alexa Woods (character in Alien vs. Predator movie)
- Alexa (character in “Barbie & the Diamond Castle”)
- Alexa (the AI in the Amazon smart product line)