Dante is a commanding and classic baby boy name. Suave and savvy, Dante is the name of some of the most famous artists and geniuses of all time. Medieval in origin, this name has a powerful place in contemporary popular culture. Dante Hicks is the protagonist of the Clerks series, Dante Redgrave is the protagonist of the Devil May Cry video game series, and Dante Quintana is the main character of a best-selling novel by Benjamin Saenz. Keep reading to learn more about this impressive name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Dante:
Dante originated from the medieval short form of Durante. The name means “enduring” or “lasting”. The name is often associated with Dante Alighieri, the Italian poet who wrote “The Divine Comedy”. Dante has remained a popular option in modern times.
Symbolism of the Name Dante:
Dante derives from the Latin word Durante (meaning “lasting” or “enduring”). It is the same source of modern English words like “durable”. The classic symbol of lasting or enduring life is the ankh.
Nicknames for the Name Dante:
Dante is a cool name on its own, but many parents want a nickname to go with it. That's totally fine! We've got the perfect list here to help you out:
Style of the Name Dante:
Gender of the Name Dante:
Dante is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Dante:
Number of Syllables in the Name Dante:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Dante:
The name Dante evokes feelings of resilience and resolve.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Dante:
Popularity of the Name Dante:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Dante was the 311th most popular baby name for boys in 2022. It has remained on the top 1,000 names list for the entire century thus far.
Related Names for the Name Dante:
Great Middle Names for Dante and Their Meanings:
- Apollo (strength, destroyer, father of light)
- Beaumont (beautiful mountain)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Luca (bringer of light)
- Raphael (God has healed)
- Romeo (pilgrim to Rome, Roman)
- Salvatore (savior)
- Valentino (healthy, strong)
- Wilder (hunter)
Famous People with the Name Dante:
- Dante Alighieri (poet)
- Dante Lamar Cunningham (basketball player)
- Dante Bruno Fascell (politician)
- Dante Jordan Knight (son of singer Jordan Knight)
- Dante Santiago Rosario (football player)
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (artist)
- Dante Deneen Washington (soccer player)
- Dante Julius Wesley (football player)
Dante in Popular Culture:
- Dante Damiano (character on the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful)
- Dante Falconeri (character on the soap opera General Hospital)
- Dante Hicks (protagonist of Clerks, Clerks II, and Clerks: The Animated Series
- Dante Quintana (main character in the book Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz)
- Dante Tony Redgrave (protagonist of the video game series Devil May Cry)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Kichigin/Shutterstock.com.