Wilder is quickly becoming one of the most popular options for boys. It is important to note that in rare cases, girls may use this option. What only became a top 1,000 option in 2015 is already a top 500 name.
Meaning of the name Wilder:
English: wild animal
Origin of the name Wilder:
Wilder originated from the surname, Wilder. The surname itself came from Wild, which is a word-associated name. Wild was a nickname in Old England for undisciplined men. When spelled Wyld, it was a location-based surname for individuals from the region with the same name.
Symbolism of the name Wilder:
Wilder means “wild animal” because of the original nickname, Wild. Wild means “uncontrolled,” so it would make sense that the nickname would mean “wild animal.”
Style of the name Wilder:
Modern for first name use
Gender of the name Wilder:
Wilder is a unisex name, though rarely used for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Wilder:
WHILE-der or WILL-der
Number of syllables in the name Wilder:
Emotion evoked from the name Wilder:
Wilder is trendy and modern. It has a youthful and outdoorsy feel to it.
Alternative spellings for the name Wilder:
Nicknames for the name Wilder:
Popularity of the name Wilder:
Wilder became a top 1,000 name option for boys in 2015 at rank 964. It quickly ascended, ranking at 725 by 2016. As of 2019, Wilder is a top 500 name. Most recently, in 2020, it ranked as number 431 for boys.
Related names for the name Wilder:
Great middle names for Wilder and their meanings:
- Lynn (lake)
- Sienna (reddish-brown)
- Brynn (hill, mound)
- Sloane (warrior, man of arms)
- Finn (white, fair-haired)
- Dane (God will judge)
- Kade (stout, sturdy)
- Reese (ardent, fiery)
Famous people with the name Wilder:
- Wilder Hurley (daughter of Michael Hurley)
- Wilder Penfield (neurosurgeon)
- Wilder Hudson (son of Oliver Hudson)
- Wilder Helberg (son of Simon Helberg)
- Wilder Faison (daughter of Donald Faison)
Wilders in popular culture:
- Wilder Lloyd (character from “The Accidental Husband”)
- Wilder (character from “Transformers: Super God Masterforce”)
- Wilder (character from “Dungeons and Dragons” game)