Arrow is a unique modern baby name suitable for both girls and boys. Universal in its appeal, the name Arrow has unmatched charm among celebrities and within popular culture. Arrow is the stage name of calypso musician Alphonsus Cassell, and Arrow is also the name of a primary superhero in the DC Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Arrow:
English: Missile, projectile, linear pointer
Origin of the name Arrow:
Arrow derives from the Old English word ærwe (meaning “arc”). The word descended from the Proto-Germanic arkhwo and contextually meant “belonging to the bow.” It ultimately referred to the fin-stabilized projectile missile that humans have used (along with the complementary bow) since the Middle Stone Age.
Symbolism of the name Arrow:
Arrow means “missile” or “arc.” Throughout history, bows and arrows served essential functions in hunting, warfare, and astrology. In addition, the intercultural recognition of the arrow has played an important role in cartography, signage, and wayfinding. The universal symbol of the arrow is the chevron (or pointer) affixed to a line segment to indicate direction.
Style of the name Arrow:
Gender of the name Arrow
Arrow is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Arrow:
Number of syllables in the name Arrow:
Emotion evoked from the name Arrow:
The name Arrow evokes feelings of diligence and determination.
Alternative spellings for the name Arrow:
Nicknames for the name Arrow:
Popularity of the name Arrow:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Arrow was the 1,238th most popular name for boys in 2020. Arrow was also the 2,028th baby name for girls the same year.
Related names for the name Arrow:
Great middle names for Arrow and their meanings:
- Austin (great, magnificent, exalted, venerable)
- Benoit (blessed)
- Clark (scribe, scholar, clerk)
- Channing (young wolf, church officiant, wise counsel)
- Emrys (everlasting, immortal)
- Fallon (leader, superior, ruler)
- Faith (trust, confidence, belief)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Magnus (great)
- Sage (wise, prophet, learned, herb)
- Silas (forest, wood)
- Willa (resolute protector, strong-willed warrior)
Famous people with the name Arrow:
- Arrow Rhodes Ackles (son of actor Jensen Ross Ackles)
- Arrow Iron Cloud (musician)
- Arrow Eve Reynolds (daughter of singer Daniel Coulter Reynolds)
- Arrow de Wilde (actress and singer)
- Arrow D'Oro Leon Zappa (son of writer Shana Muldoon Zappa)
Arrow in popular culture:
- Arrow (stage name of musician Alphonsus Celestine Edmund Cassell)
- Arrow (superhero in the Centaur Comics universe)
- Arrow Books (imprint of Random House)
- Green Arrow (main character in the DC Comics universe)