After over a decade on the top 50 list, Dustin is now a top 700 name on the Social Security Index. In the 1970s and 1980s, the name may have been popular due to actor Dustin Hoffman. It is starting to feel like a vintage name, though it still has a young, boyish feel.
Meaning of the name Dustin:
Norse: brave warrior, Thor's stone
German: brave warrior
Origin of the name Dustin:
Dustin was originally a surname if you can believe it, though initially, it was the first name. It was used among Norse and German cultures as those who were part of the armies of thee lands. The Old Norse name that it actually came from was Porsteinn, which translated to Torsten, then eventually Dustin in England.
Symbolism of the name Dustin:
Dustin means “brave warrior” or “Thor's stone” as it comes from the old Norse surname Porsteinn which means the same. Originally, the English version of this name was Torsten, but this was modernized to Dustin.
Style of the name Dustin:
Modern as a first name
Gender of the name Dustin:
Dustin is a boy's name with a young and slightly rugged feel.
Pronunciation of the name Dustin:
Number of syllables in the name Dustin:
Emotion evoked from the name Dustin:
Dustin feels young, rugged, and strong. It has a certain simplicity to it too.
Alternative spellings for the name Dustin:
Nicknames for the name Dustin:
Popularity of the name Dustin:
Dustin has been a popular baby name since the late 1960s. It was a top 100 option from 1975 to 1997, with a place on the top 50 list from 1980 to 1990. As of 2020, Dustin ranks on the top 700 list as number 656.
Related names for the name Dustin:
Great middle names for Dustin and their meanings:
- Gray (black mixed with white, gray-haired)
- Reid (red-haired)
- Beck (stream)
- Wilde (hunter)
- Moss (born of God)
- Neil (champion)
- Reilly (courageous)
- Jude (praised)
Famous people with the name Dustin:
- Dustin Hoffman (actor, “Rain Man”)
- Dustin Pedroia (MLB player)
- Dustin Johnson (pro golfer)
- Dustin Black (screenwriter, “Milk”)
- Dustin Clare (actor, “Spartacus”)
- Dustin Keller (NFL player)
- Dustin Lynch (country music singer)
- Dustin Diamond (actor, “Saved by the Bell”)
Dustins in popular culture:
- Dustin Brooks (character from “Zoey 101”)
- Dustin Kudlick (character from “Dustin” comic strip)
- Dustin Prince (character from “Ace Attorney” video game)
- Dustin Henderson (character from “Stranger Things”)