Up until the 1960s, Hoyt was a pretty popular name in the United States and a mainstay on the list of the top 1,000 baby names for boys. While it's considered more of a “grandpa name” these days, it's got the potential to become a favorite again. It has a rustic feel that's in right now, and it pairs well with a variety of multi-syllable middle names.
Meaning of the name Hoyt:
English: Person who lives on a hill
Origin of the name Hoyt:
Hoyt was an English surname during the Middle Ages that was used for people who lived on a hill or up high in the topography. It eventually became a given name.
Symbolism of the name Hoyt:
Because Hoyt once referred to people who lived up on high or on hills, many new parents may find this symbolic. They may see it as a name that means their child will be held in high regard or respected by others.
Style of the name Hoyt:
Gender of the name Hoyt:
Hoyt is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Hoyt:
Number of syllables in the name Hoyt:
Emotion evoked from the name Hoyt:
The baby name Hoyt evokes images of someone who is laid-back and enjoys a simpler life.
Alternative spellings for the name Hoyt:
Nicknames for the name Hoyt:
Popularity of the name Hoyt:
According to the Social Security Administration, Hoyt was a top 1,000 baby name for boys up until 1967. It last ranked at number 950.
Related names for the name Hoyt:
Great middle names for Hoyt and their meanings:
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Thomas (twin)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Samuel (told by God)
- Christopher (bearer of Christ)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Jefferson (Son of Jeffrey)
- August (great, magnificent)
Famous people with the name Hoyt:
- Hoyt Axton (country music singer)
- Hoyt Curtin (composer)
- Hoyt Ming (musician)
- Hoyt Taylor (politician)
- Hoyt Wilhelm (baseball player)
Hoyts in popular culture:
- Hoyt Fortenberry (character from the TV show “True Blood”)
- Hoyt Thorpe (character in the book “I am Charlotte Simmons”)
- Hoyt Volker (character in the video game “Far Cry 3”)
- Sheriff Hoyt (character in “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” films)