The baby name Troy has been a mainstay on the list of the top baby names for boys in the United States since at least 1900. It has roots in both an old Irish word and a popular Greek legend. Troy is a name associated with strength and bravery, and it works as either a middle name or a given name.
Meaning of the name Troy:
Irish: Foot soldier
Greek: City of Troy
Origin of the name Troy:
Troy has two potential origins. It could be an English version of the old Irish name Troightheach, which meant foot soldier. It could also be a place name that honors the ancient Greek city of Troy.
Symbolism of the name Troy:
According to Greek myth, Troy was the setting of the Trojan War. Troy also means “foot soldier.” For these reasons, the name may be symbolic of strength and bravery.
Style of the name Troy:
Gender of the name Troy:
Troy is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Troy:
Number of syllables in the name Troy:
Emotion evoked from the name Troy:
The baby name Troy evokes images of someone who is magnetic, authoritative and would make a good leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Troy:
Nicknames for the name Troy:
Popularity of the name Troy:
Troy has been a top 1,000 baby name in the United States since at least 1900. It was even in the top 100 throughout the 1960s and 1970s, according to the Social Security Administration. As of 2020, it ranks at number 416.
Related names for the name Troy:
Great middle names for Troy and their meanings:
- Alexander (protector of men)
- River (river)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- William (absolute protection)
- Thomas (twin)
- Hunter (one who hunts)
- Atlas (bearer of the heavens, enduring)
- Joseph (God increases)
Famous people with the name Troy:
- Troy Aikman (football player)
- Troy Denning (author)
- Troy Gentry (singer)
- Troy Donahue (actor and singer)
- Troy Baker (actor)
- Troy Polamalu (football player)
- Troy Sanders (musician)
Troys in popular culture:
- Troy Barnes (character on the TV show “Community”)
- Troy Bolton (character from the “High School Musical” film series)
- Troy McClure (character on the TV show “The Simpsons”)
- Troy Burrows (character from the “Power Rangers” TV shows)
- Troy Carmichael (character in the movie “Crooklyn”)