When you hear the name Twyla, you may first think of the character from “Schitt's Creek.” This vintage-sounding option originated in England and France, coming from the words “twilight” and “etoile.” As of 2021, Twyla is a top 8,000 option for girls.
Meaning of the name Twyla:
Origin of the name Twyla:
Twyla is a spelling variation of the baby name Twila. The origins of these options are not clear, but most agree that Twila was an abbreviation of the word “twilight.” It could also come from the French word “etoile,” which translates to “star.” Twila and Twyla came to America in the late nineteenth century.
Symbolism of the name Twyla:
The two translations of the baby name Twyla are similar. In England, Twyla and Twila were abbreviations for the word “twilight.” In France, Twyla is likely a play on the word “etoile,” which translates to “star.”
Style of the name Twyla:
Gender of the name Twyla:
Twyla is an old-fashioned name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Twyla:
Number of syllables in the name Twyla:
Emotion evoked from the name Twyla:
Twyla feels vintage and wholesome. It is a refined and youthful baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Twyla:
Nicknames for the name Twyla:
Popularity of the name Twyla:
Twyla first became a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1925 at rank 929. It remained on the Social Security Popularity Index until 1965 at number 932. Twyla ranked highest in 1939 at rank 796. As of 2021, Twyla is a top 8,000 option.
Related names for the name Twyla:
Great middle names for Twyla and their meanings:
- Iris (rainbow)
- Willow (willow tree, freedom)
- Audrey (noble strength)
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Maisie (pearl, bitter, drop of the sea)
- Elodie (riches, wealth)
- Florence (blossoming, flourishing)
- Juniper (young, juniper berry)
Famous people with the name Twyla:
- Twyla Tharp (dancer, choreographer)
- Twyla Hansen (poet)
- Twyla Gray (politician from Oklahoma)
- Twyla Herbert (songwriter)
- Twyla Roman (politician from Ohio)
- Twyla Exner (artist)
Twylas in popular culture:
- Twyla Sands (character from “Schitt's Creek”)
- Twyla Stark (character from “The Ruling Class”)
- Twyla Day (character from “I Was a Teenage Faust”)
- Twyla Sandow (character from “The King”)
- Twyla (character from “Monster High”)