Willis is an English baby boy’s name that is a diminutive of William. It means “resolute protection”. Willis was a solidly popular name for most of the 20th century, peaking in 1919. It disappeared in the mid-1990s.
Meaning of the name Willis:
English: resolute protection
Origin of the name Willis:
Willis is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “resolute protection”. Willis is a diminutive of William. Willis is an English surname that comes from the diminutive Will.
Symbolism of the name Willis:
Willis means “resolute protection” and comes from the name William. William has been a popular name for centuries and bourne by countless authors, artists, actors, monarchs, and other influential figures.
Style of the name Willis:
Gender of the name Willis:
Willis is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Willis:
Number of syllables in the name Willis:
Emotion evoked from the name Willis:
Willis evokes feelings of confidence and hard work.
Alternative spellings for the name Willis:
Wilis, Willys, Wyllis
Nicknames for the name Willis:
Popularity of the name Willis:
According to the Social Security Administration, Willis is a popular baby boy’s name. Willis was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1993. It peaked at #131 in 1919.
Related names for the name Willis:
Great middle names for the name Willis and their meanings:
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Otis (wealthy)
- Arthur (bear)
- James (supplanter)
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
- Micah (who is like the Lord)
- Isaiah (Salvation of the Lord)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Jude (praised)
Famous people with the name Willis:
- Willis Haviland Carrier (American inventor)
- Willis Eugene Lamb Jr. (American physicist and Nobel prize winner)
- Willis Andrew McGahee III (American football player)
- Willis Reed Jr. (American basketball player)
- Willis Linn Jepson (American botanist)
Willis in popular culture:
- Willis Drummand (television, “Diff'rent Strokes”)
- Dr. Ethan Willis (television, “Code Black”)
- Willis (television, “Digimon” series)
- Willis the Bouncer (literature, “Red Planet” by Robert A. Heinlein)
- Willis Jackson (television, “Diff’rent Strokes”)