Zelma is a vintage baby girl’s name that was popular in the first half of the 20th century. Zelma means “God helmet” in German and “peace” in Hungarian. It is a shortened form of Anzelma and Szalóme.
Meaning of the name Zelma:
German: God helmet
Origin of the name Zelma:
Zelma is a baby girl’s name of two distinct origins. In German, Zelma means “God helmet” and is a diminutive of Anzelma. In Hungarian, Zelma is a diminutive of Szalóme and means “peace”.
Symbolism of the name Zelma:
Zelma is a name of extremes, meaning both “God helmet” and “peace”. On one hand, Zelma is a name of a warrior. On the other, peace is associated with symbols like white doves.
Style of the name Zelma:
Gender of the name Zelma:
Zelma is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Zelma:
Number of syllables in the name Zelma:
Emotion evoked from the name Zelma:
Zelma evokes feelings of strength and serenity.
Alternative spellings for the name Zelma:
Selma, Zhelma, Zalma, Zolma
Nicknames for the name Zelma:
Popularity of the name Zelma:
According to the Social Security Administration, Zelma is a popular baby girl’s name. Zelma was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1955. It peaked in #216 in 1902.
Related names for the name Zelma:
Great middle names for the name Zelma and their meanings:
- Danya (judgment of God)
- Linah (bright, beautiful)
- Caro (free man)
- Violet (purple)
- Elsie (pledged to God)
- Rue (herb, regret)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Livvy (olive tree, blue, envious)
Famous people with the name Zelma:
- Zelma Davis (American singer)
- Zelma Wilson (American architect)
- Zelma O'Neal (American actress, singer, and dancer)
- Zelma Watson George (American singer and philanthropist)
- Zelma R. Long (American oenologist and vintner)
Zelma in popular culture:
- Azelma (literature/musical “Les Misérables”)
- Zelma (video game, “Fran Bow”)
- Zelma Stanton (comics, “Marvel” universe)
- Zelma (video games, “Final Fantasy XIV”)