Chicken A La King Casserole
8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
1 can (10¾ ounces) reduced fat reduced sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
⅔ cup fat free evaporated milk
6 ounces cubed reduced fat process cheese (Velveeta)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup sliced celery
¼ cup chopped green pepper
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
⅓ cup dry bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Cook noodles according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
3. Add the chicken, celery, green pepper, and pimientos to the soup mixture.
4. Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to a shallow 2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
5. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, for 10 15 minutes or until heated through and golden.
Yield: 8 servings
One serving (1 cup) equals:
9 g fat (3 g saturated fat)
72 mg cholesterol
405 mg sodium
31 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
24 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat