Boaz is an intriguing baby name for boys. Rooted in ancient Bronze Age culture, Boaz has undergone a major modern revival in countries like the Netherlands. Boaz was the name of a progenitor of King David in the Old Testament, and Boaz Jimenez is also the name of a central character in the Queen of the South series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Boaz:
Hebrew: Swiftness, strength
Origin of the name Boaz:
Boaz originates from the Hebrew word בֹּעַז (meaning “swiftness” or “strength”).
Symbolism of the name Boaz:
Boaz is an Old Hebrew name that means “swiftness.” According to the Old Testament, Boaz was a wealthy landowner and the second husband of Ruth the Moabite (Ruth 4:1-16). The symbol of Boaz was the threshing floor.
Style of the name Boaz:
Gender of the name Boaz:
Boaz is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Boaz:
Number of syllables in the name Boaz:
Emotion evoked from the name Boaz:
The name Boaz evokes feelings of greatness and generosity.
Alternative spellings for the name Boaz:
Nicknames for the name Boaz:
Popularity of the name Boaz:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Boaz was the 1,134th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Boaz:
Great middle names for Boaz and their meanings:
- Andrew (masculine, manly, strong)
- Cristobal (bearer of Christ)
- David (beloved)
- Dirk (ruler of the people)
- Elmer (noble, famous, renowned)
- Gadiel (God is my fortune)
- Jethro (abundance, overflow)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Noah (rest, repose, respite)
- Ozzie (God's ruler)
- Solomon (peace)
- Timothy (honoring God)
- Zander (defender of men)
Famous people with the name Boaz:
- Boaz Bloomer (industrialist)
- Boaz Davidson (filmmaker)
- Boaz Ellis (foil fencer)
- Boaz Frankel (television personality)
- Boaz Janay (basketball player)
- Boaz Mahune (politician)
- Boaz Mauda (singer)
- Boaz Theofilius Erwin Solossa (footballer)
- Boaz Joost van Velzen (son of Dutch singer Roel van Velzen)
- Boaz Yakin (screenwriter)
Boaz in popular culture:
- Boaz (character in the Legacy of Kain series)
- BoazJachin (pillars included in the first rendition of Solomon's Temple)
- Boaz Jimenez (character in the Queen of the South series)