Bo may sound like a nickname, but it is now a popular stand-alone name in Europe, China, and even America. The name has a complex background as it has been used in two cultures when two different meanings. Bo did not become a popular name in America, though, until the late 1970s.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Bo:
Bo has origins from two different cultures. In Norse culture, the name is derived from the nickname Bui. This was originally from the word, “bua” which means “to live”. In Chinese, the name comes from the word that is spelled the same for “waves”. In Slavic, the name means “living”. Bo has been around for a long time, with its origin estimated at around the 14th century. The name is still popular in the Nordic countries, as well as the United States.
Symbolism of the Name Bo:
The baby name Bo means “to live” or “living” as it comes from the Norse word “bua” which means the same. In Chinese, it is literally the same spelling as the word for “waves”.
Nicknames for the Name Bo:
While Bo is a very short name, there are a number of nicknames associated with it. These names are our favorites; we think each of these would be perfect for your baby! Pick the one that suits your child best, or try out multiple names!
Style of the Name Bo:
Gender of the Name Bo:
Bo is largely a boy name, but there have been some girls who take it as well.
Pronunciation of the Name Bo:
Number of Syllables in the Name Bo:
Emotion Evoked from the Name Bo:
The baby name Bo has a western feel to it. It feels young, informal, and cute for boys.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Bo:
Popularity of the Name Bo:
The baby name Bo became a top 1,000 name for boys in 1977 at number 974. In 2016, the name became a top 600 name which is the first time since the 1980s. As of 2020, Bo continues to rise the ranks as it is number 537 for boys.
Related Names for the Name Bo:
Great Middle Names for Bo and Their Meanings:
- Clark (scribe, secretary)
- Mason (“one who works with stone”)
- Mitchell (gift from God)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Anders (manly, brave)
- Martin (dedicated to Mars)
- Austin (great, magnificent)
- Derrin (great)
Famous People with the Name Bo:
- Bo Burnham (professional comedian)
- Bo Orbison (son of musician Roy Orbison)
- Bo Diddley (blues musician)
- Bo Derek (female American actor)
- Bo Dallas (ring name of Taylor Rotunda, wrestler)
Bos in Popular Culture:
- Bo Cocky (main character in “Supertwink”)
- Bo Brady (character in “Days of Our Lives”)
- Bo Duke (main character on “Dukes of Hazzard”)
- Bo' Rai Cho (character in “Mortal Kombat” video game)
- Bo Sheep (character in “US Acres” comics)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©komokvm/Shutterstock.com.