Since 2011, Bowen has been a name on the rise for baby boys in the United States. It's typically thought of as a surname, but it's quite trendy to turn surnames into given names these days. Bowen has Welsh origins, and we like the way it sounds with classic middle names, like James, Henry, and Thomas.
Meaning of the name Bowen:
Welsh: Son of Owen or noble
Origin of the name Bowen:
The exact origin and meaning of Bowen are up for debate, but most people agree that it's somehow derived from the Welsh name Owen. Owen was originally spelled “Owain,” and it's thought to be a derivative of Eugene, which means “noble.” However, some people believe Bowen means “son of Owen.”
Symbolism of the name Bowen:
Depending on the meaning you like best, Bowen could offer plenty of symbolism. It might be a great choice for a new baby whose father is named Owen. Because it's typically a surname, it might be a good choice for a baby whose mother's maiden name was Bowen. Because it could mean “noble,” new parents may choose it in hopes that their son grows up to be a strong leader.
Style of the name Bowen:
Traditional, surname as a given name
Gender of the name Bowen:
Bowen is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Bowen:
Number of syllables in the name Bowen:
Emotion evoked from the name Bowen:
The baby name Bowen evokes images of someone who is flexible and can adapt to any circumstance.
Alternative spellings for the name Bowen:
Nicknames for the name Bowen:
Popularity of the name Bowen:
According to the Social Security Administration, Bowen has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States since 2011. It last ranked at number 394 in 2020.
Related names for the name Bowen:
Great middle names for Bowen and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Emmett (universal)
- James (supplanter)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- George (farmer)
- Lyle (from the island)
- Thomas (twin)
Famous people with the name Bowen:
- Bowen Byram (hockey player)
- Bowen Yang (comedian, actor)
- Bowen Ebenezer Aylsworth (Canadian politician)
- Bowen Lockwood (Australian rules footballer)
- Bowen Stassforth (Olympic swimmer)
Bowens in popular culture:
- Bowen (character in the movie “Dragonheart”)
- Bowen Ashby (character in the “Chemical Garden” book series)
- Bowen Marsh (character on the “Game of Thrones” TV show)
- Bowenof a character on the TV show “Power Rangers Mystic Force”)