Billy is a cute name that gives a cool notion for both boys and girls. It has been especially popularized for girls through singer Billie Eilish, though spelled differently. What was once solely a nickname is now a top 900 name in America.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Billy:
Billy is a diminutive of the name William. The original nickname for this latter option, however, was Bill. For this reason, some believe that Billy became a diminutive of sorts for Bill. The name means “protection”. Billy has German origins. There are a number of famous people with this name, like Billy Ray Cyrus and Billy Joel.
Symbolism of the Name Billy:
Billy means “protection” as it has the same origins as the baby name William. This means that it accepts the same meaning as this more formal name. A sword and shield can be a great symbol for this name.
Nicknames for the Name Billy:
Although Billy is often a nickname itself, there are many nickname options for it. Some of them are connected to William, which Billy is often a nickname for. Check out all of these options, and pick the one that fits your child the best:
Style of the Name Billy:
Gender of the Name Billy:
Billy can be a trendy girl's name. It has also enjoyed long-term popularity for boys.
Pronunciation of the Name Billy:
Number of Syllables in the Name Billy:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Billy:
Depending on who has the name, Billy can feel rugged and traditional. Some individuals with the name, however, give off a more cool and trendy vibe.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Billy:
Popularity of the Name Billy:
Billy was a standalone name option on the top 100 list from 1922 to 1980. The name was even a top 50 name from 1925 to 1946 and a top 20 name from 1930 to 1935. Billy has descended some as a name choice in more recent years, however; as of 2022, it has fallen out of the top 1,000 names, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related Names for the Name Billy:
Great Middle Names for Billy and Their Meanings:
- Wilder (untamed, wild)
- Jeremiah (appointed by God)
- Samuel (God has heard)
- Walker (fuller)
- Ivy (vine)
- Lucy (light)
- Josephine (Yahweh shall grow)
- Sarah (noblewoman, princess)
Famous People with the Name Billy:
- Billy Joel (stage name of William Joel, singer)
- Billy Graham (stage name of evangelist, William Graham)
- Billy Idol (punk singer)
- Billy the Kid (outlaw)
- Billy Ray Cyrus (stage name of William Cyrus, country music singer)
- Billy Boyd (actor, “The Lord of the Rings”)
- Billy Bob Thornton (actor, “Bad Santa”)
Billys in Popular Culture:
- Billy Hargrove (character from “Stranger Things”)
- Billy Nutter (character from “Jane by Design”)
- Billy Cranston (character from “Power Rangers”)
- Billy Madison (main character from “Billy Madison”)
- Billy Peale (character from “American Gothic”)
- Billy Bannister (character from “Dragons in Our Midst”)
- Billy Thunderman (character from “The Thundermans”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Katrina Elena/Shutterstock.com.