Desiree is a French girl’s baby name that means “desired, wished for”. Desiree was at its most popular in the 1980’s and has fallen out of favor in recent years. Because of the meaning, Desiree is a popular choice for a baby born on Valentine’s Day.
Meaning of the name Desiree:
French: beloved, desired, wished for
Origin of the name Desiree:
Desiree is a French name that comes from the Roman name Desiderata. Desiree means “beloved, desired, wished for”.
Symbolism of the name Desiree:
Desiree means “beloved” or “desired” and is symbolized as typical love symbols: hearts and red and pink roses are great examples.
Style of the name Desiree:
Gender of the name Desiree:
Desiree is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Desiree:
dehz-i-RAY (English), DEH-ZEE-REH (French)
Number of syllables in the name Desiree:
Emotion evoked from the name Desiree:
Desiree evokes feelings of passion and love.
Alternative spellings for the name Desiree:
Desire, Desiray, Desirae
Nicknames for the name Desiree:
Popularity of the name Desiree:
According to the Social Security Administration, Desiree first appeared in the top 1000 names in 1954. Desiree peaked at #95 in 1983 and disappeared from the list in 2018.
Related names for the name Desiree:
Great middle names for the name Desiree and their meanings:
- Khione (snow)
- Natasha (born on Christmas Day)
- Valentina (strength, health)
- Serena (tranquil, serene)
- Helena (bright, shining light)
- Cordelia (heart; daughter of the sea)
- Josephine (Jehovah increases)
- Juliet (youthful or sky father)
- Eloise (healthy; wide)
- Matilda (battle-mighty)
- Edith (prosperous in war)
- Alys (noble)
Famous people with the name Desiree:
- Desiree Hartsock (American reality TV personality)
- Desiree Goyette (American singer and voice actress)
- Desiree Scott (Canadian soccer player)
- Desiree Linden (American runner)
- Lucille Desiree Ball (American comedian)
Desirees in popular culture:
- Desiree (television, “Danny Phantom”)
- Desiree Dupree (television, “American Horror Story: Freakshow”)
- Desiree DeLite (video game, Ace Attorney series)
- Desiree Armfeldt (musical “A Little Night Music”)
- Desiree Stone (video game, “Hollywood U”)