Katerina is the Greek, Slavic, and Russian version of the name Katherine. Katerina has several possible meanings including “torture” and “pure”. Katerina was only briefly popular in the late 90’s and was supplanted by similar names like Catrina and Kate.
Meaning of the name Katerina:
Greek, Slavic, Russian: each of the two, torture, my consecration of your name, pure
Origin of the name Katerina:
Katerina is the Greek, Slavic, and Russian form of the name Katherine. Katerina has several possible etymologies. From Greek, Katerina means “each of the two” or “torture” or “pure”. It also derives from a Coptic name meaning “my consecration of your name”.
Symbolism of the name Katerina:
Katerina shares its name with a type of garden phlox with flowers that are lilac blue with a white central star. These flowers traditionally symbolism unity and cooperation.
Style of the name Katerina:
Gender of the name Katerina:
Katerina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Katerina:
KAT-eh-rin-a (Greek, Slavic), kə-tyi-RYEE-nə (Russian)
Number of syllables in the name Katerina:
Emotion evoked from the name Katerina:
Katerina evokes feelings of daring and confidence.
Alternative spellings for the name Katerina:
Caterina, Yekaterina, Ekaterina
Nicknames for the name Katerina:
Popularity of the name Katerina:
According to the Social Security Administration, Katerina is a baby girl’s name that was briefly popular between 1992 and 2003.
Related names for the name Katerina:
Great middle names for the name Katerina and their meanings:
- Natalia (Christmas)
- Alisia (noble)
- Rosalia (beautiful rose)
- Sabina (Sabine)
- Anaise (pure)
- Inez (virginal)
- Maris (of the sea)
- Cerys (love)
Famous people with the name Katerina:
- Katerina Graham (Swedish-American actress, singer)
- Katerina Plotnikova (Russian photographer)
- Katerina Maleeva (Bulgarian tennis player)
- Katerina Athanasopoulou (Greek filmmaker and animator)
- Katerina Moutsatsou (Greek-American actress)
Katerina in popular culture:
- Katerina Petrova (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Katerina Bollenbecker (film, “The Accidental Husband”)
- Katerina Kittycat (television, “Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood”)
- Katarina (television, “Doctor Who”)