Trina is a strikingly attractive baby name for girls. With its assertive sound and mid-century modern appeal, this name brings character without requiring any extra length. Ancient in origin, the name also has a decidedly Scandinavian flair and numerous references in popular culture. Trina Echolls was a recurring character on Veronica Mars, and Trina Vega is a popular character on the Nickelodeon show Victorious. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Trina:
Latin: Triple, three
Origin of the name Trina:
Trina derives from the Latin prefix tri or the Greek word τρι (both meaning “triple”). In addition, Trina is the shortened form of the name Katrina. This name derives from the Greek word καθαρός (meaning “pure”). Trina remains a popular diminutive of Katrina for girls in Scandinavian countries. Some experts attribute this popularity to phonological similarities to other Scandinavian names like Tyra and Teresia.
Symbolism of the name Trina:
Trina originates from either the Latin word for “triple” or the Greek word for “pure.” During the Latin period, scholars used the words trina and triune as stylistic references to the Holy Trinity. Historically, the symbol for Trina was the three-fold spiral known as the triskele.
Style of the name Trina:
Gender of the name Trina:
Trina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Trina:
Number of syllables in the name Trina:
Emotion evoked from the name Trina:
The name Trina evokes feelings of prosperity and victory.
Alternative spellings for the name Trina:
Nicknames for the name Trina:
Popularity of the name Trina:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Trina was the 914th most popular baby name for girls in 1990.
Related names for the name Trina:
Great middle names for Trina and their meanings:
- Alima (learned, expert, scholar, all-knowing)
- Blaire (meadow, field, valley)
- Corrine (maiden)
- Desiree (desire, wish)
- Elowen (elm tree)
- Jolie (pretty)
- Laverne (alder tree, spring)
- MacKenzie (handsome, beautiful, fiery, first-born)
- Mercedes (mercies, wages, reward)
- Piper (flute player)
- Rochelle (little rock)
- Shantelle (stone)
Famous people with the name Trina:
- Trina Evette Braxton (singer)
- Trina Lanell Broussard (songwriter)
- Trina Rochelle Davis (footballer)
- Trina Schart Hyman (illustrator)
- Trina Marie Jackson (Olympic swimmer)
- Trina Vond'ray Jeffrie (comedienne)
- Trina Colette McGee (actress)
- Trina Pratt (figure skater)
- Trina Laverne Taylor (singer)
- Trina Vargo (non-profit director)
Trina in popular culture:
- Trina (character in the drama Degrassi: The Next Generation)
- Trina (character in the superhero comedy Big Hero 6: The Series)
- Trina Echolls (recurring character on Veronica Mars)
- Trina Taylor (long-distance swimmer in the comedy Cabin Boy)
- Trina Vega (character on the Nickelodeon show Victorious)