Loraine is a lovely classic baby name for girls. Steeped in the elegance of French history and culture, this name has a prominent place in media and literature. Loraine is the name of a main character in the Spider Riders animated series, and Loraine is also the titular protagonist of 1918 classic Loraine and the Little People of Spring by Elizabeth Gordon. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Loraine:
French, German: Kingdom of the famous army
Origin of the name Loraine:
Loraine is an alternative spelling of the name Lorraine. The name Lorraine originates from a region in France that originally meant “kingdom of Lothar.” Prior to its use in France, the name Lothar derived from the Germanic name Chlodochar. This name combined the Germanic elements hlud (meaning “famous”) and hari (meaning “army”).
Symbolism of the name Loraine:
Loraine is a variation of the name Lorraine. As a location in France, Lorraine takes its name from King Lothar. Historians cite civil wars during Lothar's rule as creating the direct setup for the modern administrative regions of France. The heraldic symbol of the region is the two-tiered cross of Lorraine.
Style of the name Loraine:
Gender of the name Loraine:
Loraine is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Loraine:
Number of syllables in the name Loraine:
Emotion evoked from the name Loraine:
The name Loraine evokes feelings of elegance and enrichment.
Alternative spellings for the name Loraine:
Nicknames for the name Loraine:
Popularity of the name Loraine:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Loraine was the 968th most popular baby name for girls in 1969.
Related names for the name Loraine:
Great middle names for Loraine and their meanings:
- Altha (healing)
- Bronte (thunder)
- Charis (grace, kindness, life)
- Eunice (good victory)
- Haven (shelter, refuge, safe place)
- Julissa (youthful, downy)
- Kylie (boomerang, narrow, strait)
- Martina (warlike, powerful, devoted to Mars)
- Mele (song, honey)
- Nia (bright, illustrious, purposeful)
- Olympia (from Mount Olympus, divine, godlike)
- Rosette (little rose)
- Ruby (red gemstone)
- Wilhelmina (resolute protector, strong-willed warrior)
- Zelma (helmet of God)
Famous people with the name Loraine:
- Loraine Alvarado (actress)
- Loraine Barry (dancer)
- Loraine Alterman Boyle (journalist)
- Loraine Margaret Braham (politician)
- Loraine Despres (novelist)
- Loraine ‘Lori' Efron (attorney)
- Loraine Faina (percussionist)
- Loraine Gelsthorpe (criminologist)
- Loraine Obler (neuroscientist)
- Loraine Wyman (opera singer)
Loraine in popular culture:
- Loraine (character in the Spider Riders animated series)
- Loraine (titular protagonist of Loraine and the Little People of Spring by Elizabeth Gordon)