Lauren originally began as a name for boys and a shortened version of the name Laurence in England. Now, however, the name is much more popular for girls. It is a very direct name, though still stylish enough to still be used in modern times.
Meaning of the name Lauren:
English: bay laurel
Origin of the name Lauren:
The baby name Lauren was created as a variation on the English name Laurence. This name came from the traditional Roman surname, Laurentius. The name was meant to represent individuals who were from Laurentum, which came from the Latin word “laurus,” meaning bay laurel.
Symbolism of the name Lauren:
The name Lauren means bay laurel due to a long history. Though many just say it comes from the name Laurence as a shortened form, it actually goes far back to the Latin town Laurentum that had these bay laurels.
Style of the name Lauren:
The style of the baby name Lauren is traditional.
Gender of the name Lauren:
The gender of the baby name Lauren is unisex. Though originally intended for boys, it is more common now for girls. Despite this, however, the name is rarely still used for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Lauren:
LOR-en or LAW-rin
Number of syllables in the name Lauren:
There are two syllables in the baby name Lauren
Emotion evoked from the name Lauren:
Lauren is a simple and direct name, giving it a bit of a serious side. It feels like a name that is very straightforward though and is best for someone without complexities.
Alternative spellings for the name Lauren:
Nicknames for the name Lauren:
Popularity of the name Lauren:
The name Lauren began on the top 20 list from 1900 to 1902, moving to the top 50 list from 1903 to 1920. It remained on the top 100 list of the Social Security Index until 1941 when it regained popularity in 1993. The name went back onto the top 50 list in 1997 and back on the top 20 list in 1999 until 2001. Since 2002, the name has been on the top five list, even reaching the number one spot in 2008 and from 2014 to 2018. In both 2019 and 2020, the name was in the number two spot.
Related names for the name Lauren:
Great middle names for Lauren and their meanings:
- Nicole (people of victory)
- Isabel (God is my oath)
- Abigail (my father's joy)
- Hailey (hay meadow)
- Reese (ardent, fiery)
- Olivia (olive branch)
- Elizabeth (God is my oath)
Famous people with the name Lauren:
- Lauren Bacall (actress, “To Have and Have Not”)
- Lauren Holly (actress, “Dumb and Dumber”)
- Lauren Cohan (actress, “The Walking Dead”)
- Lauren Graham (actress, “Gilmore Girls”)
- Lauren Alaina (country music singer)
- Lauren Morgado (pop singer in Fifth Harmony)
- Lauren Potter (actress, “Glee”)
Laurens in popular culture:
- Lauren Tanner (character on “Make It or Break It”)
- Lauren Miller (character on “Family Ties”)
- Lauren Lewis (character on “Lost Girl”)
- Lauren Mallory (character in “Twilight”)
- Lauren Zizes (character on “Glee”)
- Lauren Reynolds (character on “Blended”)