Monica spent over three decades on the top 100 list, but it is now not even a top 700 name. The name has fluctuated in popularity, however, due to political affiliations and affiliations within the church. Despite these fluctuations, Monica has a spunky and straightforward feel.
Meaning of the name Monica:
Latin: advisor, truth
Origin of the name Monica:
Monica has been around since at least the fourth century where a saint from North Africa called Monica of Hippo. She was actually the mother of Saint Augustine, one of the most popular heroes in the Christian church. The name retained use throughout Greece and other Latin countries then came to English-speaking countries in the 1700s.
Symbolism of the name Monica:
The baby name Monica means “advisor” or “truth” as it comes from the Latin “moneo.” The Christian church believes that God is the one truth, so it could find its meaning in the Greek word “monos” which means “one” too.
Style of the name Monica:
Gender of the name Monica:
Monica is a feminine name with some spunk.
Pronunciation of the name Monica:
Number of syllables in the name Monica:
Emotion evoked from the name Monica:
Monica may be a classical name, but it has a certain spunk and attitude with it. This is not to say that it is a disrespectful name, however, as it still feels refined.
Alternative spellings for the name Monica:
Nicknames for the name Monica:
Popularity of the name Monica:
Monica has been on the top 1,000 list since 1900. It spent many decades on the top 100 list too, from 1964 to 1997. The name has declined since that time, now being almost a top 700 name at rank 703.
Related names for the name Monica:
Great middle names for Monica and their meanings:
- Roanne (red-berry tree)
- Twila (twilight)
- Sonya (wisdom)
- Julie (youthful, beautiful, vivacious)
- Beverly (beaver stream, meadow)
- Leah (pretty girl)
- Lee (pasture, meadow)
Famous people with the name Monica:
- Saint Monica of Hippo (mother of Saint Augustine)
- Monica Seles (tennis player)
- Monica Bellucci (actress, “Mallena”)
- Monica Brown (singer, “The Boy is Mine”)
- Monica Keena (actress, “Freddy vs. Jason”)
- Monica Lewinsky (activist)
- Monica Dickens (novelist, “Mariana”)
Monicas in popular culture:
- Monica Gellar (character from “Friends”)
- Monica Joan (character from “Call the Midwife”)
- Monica Gallagher (character from “Shameless”)
- Monica Wright (character from “Love & Basketball”)
- Monica Knollys (character from “Uncle Silas”)
- Monica (character from “Touched by an Angel”)