The baby name Monique was more popular during the middle of the 20th century and especially during the 1980s, but it still feels fresh today. The French moniker has an international feel and exudes femininity. Many new parents may not realize that Monique is derived from the name Monica, which is a name often associated with a very patient Christian saint.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Monique:
Monique is the French version of the name Monica. Monica is thought to be derived from the Latin word “monere”, which means to “warn” or “advise”. The name has enjoyed off-and-on popularity in the United States and in French-speaking parts of Canada, but doesn't see extensive use in other English-speaking parts of the world.
Symbolism of the Name Monique:
The baby name Monique may be symbolic of someone who gives good advice, based on its meaning. Because it's derived from the name Monica, it could also be symbolic of the Christian Saint with the same name.
Nicknames for the Name Monique:
Looking for a great nickname for Monique? Look no further! This list has plenty of nicknames for you to choose from.
Style of the Name Monique:
Gender of the Name Monique:
Monique is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Monique:
Number of Syllables in the Name Monique:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Monique:
The baby name Monique evokes images of someone who is strong and unafraid of a challenge.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Monique:
Popularity of the Name Monique:
Monique was a top 1,000 baby name for girls between 1955 and 2008. It even broke into the top 100 in 1980. According to the Social Security Administration, it last ranked at number 923 in 2008.
Related Names for the Name Monique:
Great Middle Names for Monique and Their Meanings:
- Caroline (free man)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Celeste (heavenly)
- Juliet (youthful)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Catherine (pure)
- Harper (harp player)
- Luna (moon)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Rebecca (tie, bind)
Famous People with the Name Monique:
- Monique Angela Hicks (actress)
- Monique Jacobson van Vooren (actress, singer)
- Monique Coleman (actress)
- Monique Alexander (model)
- Monique Adamczak (tennis player)
- Monique Henderson (Olympian)
Moniques in Popular Culture:
- Monique (character from the TV show “Kim Possible”)
- Monique Deveraux (character from the TV show “The Originals”)
- Monique (character from the movie “She's the Man”)
- Monique Pollier (character from the TV show “Desperate Housewives”)
- Monique Taylor (character from the TV show “Even Stevens”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/alexkich.