Myrna has not been a top 1,000 baby name since the year 1976. Though a top 200 name in the early twentieth century, it has declined some in popularity. Myrna remains a classical name option for girls, however, based on Irish mythology.
Meaning of the name Myrna:
Origin of the name Myrna:
The baby name Myrna is the anglicized alternative to the Irish baby name Muirne. This latter baby name was the name of a popular character in Irish legend. She was the mother of someone named Fionn mac Cool.
Symbolism of the name Myrna:
The baby name Myrna originates from the Gaelic name Muirne. It retains the same meaning of “festive.”
Style of the name Myrna:
Gender of the name Myrna:
Myrna is a natural baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Myrna:
MUR-na or MER-na
Number of syllables in the name Myrna:
Emotion evoked from the name Myrna:
Myrna is a beautiful baby name that sounds richly European. It is mature, classical, and very formal.
Alternative spellings for the name Myrna:
Nicknames for the name Myrna:
- My My
Popularity of the name Myrna:
The baby name Myrna was a top 200 name from 1935 to 1942 in America. The highest rank occurred in 1938 at number 134. The last year that Myrna ranked on the top 1,000 list was 1976 at rank 956.
Related names for the name Myrna:
Great middle names for Myrna and their meanings:
- Charlotte (petite, feminine)
- Rose (rose, a flower)
- Scarlet (bright red)
- Shae (hawk)
- Jade (stone of the side)
- Naomi (pleasant one, beauty)
- Amal (hope)
- Bree (power, strength, exalted one)
Famous people with the name Myrna:
- Myrna Loy (actress, “The Thin Man”)
- Myrna Dell (actress, “The Falcon's Adventure”)
- Myrna Hansen (Miss USA from 1953)
- Myrna Lorraine (country music singer)
- Myrna Veenstra (Olympic field hockey player)
Myrnas in popular culture:
- Myrna (character from “Partholon” series)
- Myrna Mountweazel (character from “Paper Towns”)
- Myrna (character from “Crazy, Ex Girlfriend”)