Griselda is a beloved traditional baby names for girls. As one of Europe's most ancient names, Griselda has an instinctual connection to derivative cultures around the world. Griselda Blackwood is the name of a main character in The Worst Witch series, and Griselda Marchbanks was a character in the Harry Potter series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Griselda:
Old Germanic, Spanish, Italian: Gray battle
Origin of the name Griselda:
Griselda originates from the Old Germanic elements gris (meaning “gray”) and hild (meaning “battle”). As one of Europe's most ancient names, it ultimately derives from the Proto-Germanic words *grīsaz (meaning “gray,” “fearsome,” or “terrible”) and *hildiz (meaning “battle”). It eventually became a popular name in Italy and remains common in Spanish-speaking countries throughout the world.
Symbolism of the name Griselda:
Griselda is an Old Germanic name that means “gray battle.” In world literature, one of the most famous short depictions of Griselda was “The Clerk's Tale” by Geoffrey Chaucer. According to the tale, the wife Griselda was the ultimate example of wifely duty, devotion, and love. In this story, the symbol of Griselda was the papal bull.
Style of the name Griselda:
Gender of the name Griselda:
Griselda is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Griselda:
Number of syllables in the name Griselda:
Emotion evoked from the name Griselda:
The name Griselda evokes feelings of patience and perseverance.
Alternative spellings for the name Griselda:
Nicknames for the name Griselda:
Popularity of the name Griselda:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Griselda was the 3,423rd most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Griselda:
Great middle names for Griselda and their meanings:
- Asunción (assumption, ascent, transfiguration)
- Bellamy (beautiful friend)
- Carly (free man, strong, virile, petite)
- Delaney (alder grove, dark, deep)
- Helen (bright, shining light, torch)
- Lotus (water lily)
- Milan (gracious)
- Shirley (bright meadow)
- Sterling (genuine, high quality, little star)
- Valencia (strength, vigor, valor)
- Zelene (moon goddess)
- Zulema (peace)
Famous people with the name Griselda:
- Griselda Gambaro (playwright)
- Griselda Greaves (illustrator)
- Griselda Álvarez Ponce de León (politician)
- Griselda Siciliani (actress)
- Griselda Frances Sinclair Pollock (art historian)
- Griselda Blanco Restrepo (public figure)
- Griselda María de los Ángeles González Santillo (Olympic runner)
- Griselda Rosa de las Mercedes Tessio (politician)
Griselda in popular culture:
- Griselda Blackwood (character in The Worst Witch series)
- Griselda Marchbanks (character in the Harry Potter series)
- Griselda Records (independent music label based in Buffalo, New York)