Roan is a uncommon unisex baby name. In Gaelic, Roan means “little redhead”. In Frisian it means “raven”. Roan is less common than variant spelling Rowan which has been rising in popularity in the last few decades.
Meaning of the name Roan:
Gaelic: little redhead, rowan tree
Origin of the name Roan:
Roan is a unisex baby name of Irish, Scottish, and Frisian origin. From Gaelic, Roan is a spelling variant of Rowan and either means “little redhead” or refers to the rowan tree. From Frisian Roan means “raven” and comes from the name Ronne and the Germanic name element “hraban”.
Symbolism of the name Roan:
Ravens are a member of the corvid family of birds. Ravens are symbols of death to many cultures worldwide but also of knowledge, messages from afar, and war.
Style of the name Roan:
Gender of the name Roan:
Roan is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Roan:
Number of syllables in the name Roan:
one or two, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Roan:
Roan evokes feelings of hard work and dependability.
Alternative spellings for the name Roan:
Rone, Rowan, Roane, Ronne
Nicknames for the name Roan:
Popularity of the name Roan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Roan is an uncommon unisex baby name. Roan has never appeared in the top 1000 baby names.
Related names for the name Roan:
Great middle names for the name Roan and their meanings:
- Aurelia (golden one)
- Cassia (cinnamon)
- Bryony (to sprout)
- Catriona (pure)
Famous people with the name Roan:
- Roan Carneiro (Brazilian mixed martial artist)
- Roan Bronstein (son of actress Sharon Stone and Phil Bronstein)
- Roan Cassidy (son of actor Shaun Cassidy)
- Roan McKay (son of actress Erin Chambers)
- LevonGreen Thurman Hawke (son of actress Uma Thurman and actor Ethan Hawke)
Roan in popular culture:
- Roan Fel (literature, “Star Wars Legends” series)
- King Roan of Azgeda (television, “The 100”)
- “The Secret of Roan Inish” (1994 film)
- Roan Novachez (video game, “Jedi Academy”)
- Roan (television, “Nikita”)